Capped Wells.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Capped Wells.

Post by Mr. Tact »

This might be a frequent suggestion, if so feel free to say so and lock the topic.

I'd like a way "cap" or whatever, a used oil field. And then be able to configure the map to not show capped oil fields. Yes, I know that technically they never run out.
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Capped Wells.

Post by aubergine18 »

I think this can be done relatively easily with a mod. Simply define a new type of oil well, that's just the cap, and don't have it set a map_color.
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

Mendel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mendel »

Im not saying you havent found out about this yet but I only recently found out about this so maybe worth a mention.

In late game you can still very much use "depleted" oil fields at the expense of increased use of electricity and get large amounts of oil from them, especially from fields that have a large amount of the oil patches.

First of all, put speed modules mark 3 on all oil pumpjacks.

Second of all, surround the pump jacks with beacons and put speed modules mk3 in these beacons as well.

Even depleted oil patch with a pump jack running at +300% speed can still give you plenty of oil, especially when there are a lot of them.

Dont cap them, use them. Abuse them. Keep the oil flowing!

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

Mendel wrote:First of all, put speed modules mark 3 on all oil pumpjacks.

Second of all, surround the pump jacks with beacons and put speed modules mk3 in these beacons as well.
!
Wouldn't it be better to put production modules in the pumpjacks and then speed modules in the beacons? I assume a "speed modules mk3" is from a mod of some kind? I am aware of the technique...

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

aubergine18 wrote:I think this can be done relatively easily with a mod. Simply define a new type of oil well, that's just the cap, and don't have it set a map_color.
So, you are going to get right on that for me? :mrgreen:

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

Mr. Tact wrote:
aubergine18 wrote:I think this can be done relatively easily with a mod. Simply define a new type of oil well, that's just the cap, and don't have it set a map_color.
So, you are going to get right on that for me? :mrgreen:
I'd rather make a mod that allows oil patches to catch fire (like shooting massive plume of flames in to the sky until the oil runs out then destroy the patch) }:o)
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

But the oil doesn't run out, that is the issue. :lol:

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

Mr. Tact wrote:Wouldn't it be better to put production modules in the pumpjacks and then speed modules in the beacons? I assume a "speed modules mk3" is from a mod of some kind? I am aware of the technique...
No because production modules give more output from certain amount of input but slower the process significantly. However, oil well is infinite and their number is limited. Speed bonus gives more oil per second and speed module 3 is also little bit cheaper than productivity module 3. Speed module 3 is stock stuff. You have 3 tiers of all stock modules.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

Hannu wrote:
Mr. Tact wrote: I assume a "speed modules mk3" is from a mod of some kind?
Speed module 3 is stock stuff. You have 3 tiers of all stock modules.
Ahh, okay -- you confused me with the "mk3" -- there is no "mk" in the stock game's name of the module, they are "Speed module 3"s. So I guessed you were talking about some mod....

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

Cool, thanks.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”