Sort mod list on client side

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Sephrat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Sort mod list on client side

Post by Sephrat »

Coming from here.
Sorting could be enhanced if it was done on the game (client) side rather that on the server side. Even with a decent connection, the response time is desastrous and the game hangs for a simple sorting.
It seems that it's already implemented in the public games list, or at least it's way faster.

Edit: this is about the ingame mod list, not the mod portal.
Last edited by Sephrat on Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maharin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Sort mod list on client side

Post by Maharin »

Why not apply filtering client side, too? The client should just download the list once and then only again when refreshed. Verification should be easy enough. Downloading all the data from the server every time is slow at the best of times and will only get worse with every added mod.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Good idea. So once we have 2,000 mods this will take only 50 seconds to download the list. And you will look only into the first 20 results. that is more effective searching. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

You know Ssilk it's really hard to tell sometimes if you're being sarcastic or not lol
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

The first s in his name stands for sarcastic.
Sarcastic silk.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Sephrat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Sephrat »

ssilk wrote:Good idea. So once we have 2,000 mods this will take only 50 seconds to download the list. And you will look only into the first 20 results. that is more effective searching. :)
Re-reading my post I think I might not have been clear enough: I'm talking about the mod list ingame, not the website one. I will check tonight but I don't remember the mod list being paged? From what I remember the entire list is downloaded each time you sort.
I don't use the mod portal yet, I didn't think of making a clear distinction when suggesting this.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Ok, sorry for my sarcasm. 8-) But that kind of application is part of my job.
Sephrat wrote:Re-reading my post I think I might not have been clear enough: I'm talking about the mod list ingame, not the website one. I will check tonight but I don't remember the mod list being paged?
Of course it is currently not paged, cause the loading time is currently tolerable and it is much easier to handle a complete list, than a paged one. But there is no way around it, if the number of mods rise.

We are currently at 700 mods, I don't know if the limit is with 1000, 2000, 5000 or 10,000 but at any point the mods cannot be loaded completely into Factorio, cause the loading needs too long compared to the number of effectively viewed entries.
From what I remember the entire list is downloaded each time you sort.
I don't use the mod portal yet, I didn't think of making a clear distinction when suggesting this.
There is no difference in the basic function. There is a search method, where the client (game or website) sends his requests to and the results are coming back. Currently all results, but - as said - with more mods you need to introduce paging.

This is how this type of application (I know it as "search list" or just "list") works since >50 years now. Google Search is just the tiny little snowflake on the top of an iceberg of those applications. Ten-thousands of developers (including me) have invested billions of man-hours (including some years of mine) to find better solutions, so I doubt Factorio won't make the first exception. :)

Sephrat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Sephrat »

ssilk wrote:Of course it is currently not paged, cause the loading time is currently tolerable and it is much easier to handle a complete list, than a paged one. But there is no way around it, if the number of mods rise.
Well yes, here is my point. I think we've already reached the point where there are too many mods for a complete list to be processed quickly enough, and something must be done. Give it a try in game: I find it hardly usable now.
Therefore yes, the mod list should be paged ingame. My initial idea was maybe simpler to implement, but yours is way more handy.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

ssilk wrote:Of course it is currently not paged, cause the loading time is currently tolerable
I don't see how you can consider it tolerable. This is a small list of text. It should load instantly, not after two seconds.

Honestly, the slow mod portal is quite an embarrassment for factorio, everything else gets optimized to the max :D
Last edited by Zeblote on Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Zeblote wrote:I dson't see how you can consider it tolerable. This is a small list of text. It should load instantly, not after two seconds.
Well, after I've been looking into Factorio and how it makes the requests I think I misunderstood this suggestion.

<ironic voice>I think the code is currently just not very optimized. ;)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”