Mid-tier Logistics Chest

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

zebediah49
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Mid-tier Logistics Chest

Post by zebediah49 »

This seems straight forwards enough that I would have thought it was proposed before, but a cursory search didn't find anything.

I would like to see a priority tier between red and blue. That is, a chest that has an item request, and acts as a blue chest, except that requests from the high priority chests can be fulfilled by taking items from it.

This would serve two primary purposes:

1. Easily allow for a low-priority use for items in logistics. Currently this can be done with networked inserters and "network-has > X" rules, but it's a little cumbersome.
2. Allow for item caching. By having a chest attempt to keep a stockpiile of items, burst-loads (such as a player, construction project, etc.) could be fulfilled from that location rather than from however far away the nearest primary-production location is. This would both lower the time to complete the task, and increase off-time robot utilization (effectively by off-loading work to be done at off-peak times). There is no (non-terrible) pure-logistics solution for this currently, as any attempt to request and provide items at the same time will result in a loop.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Mid-tier Logistics Chest

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

If I understand correctly, what you're basically asking for is a storage chest for specific items?
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=18093 Roboport/Logistic Network/Robot enhancements
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

zebediah49
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by zebediah49 »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:If I understand correctly, what you're basically asking for is a storage chest for specific items?
I did try seeing if I could filter the slots in a storage chest.

There is a difference though -- I would like my proposed tier of chest to pull its request from red (passive provider) and yellow (storage) chests.

OdinYggd
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OdinYggd »

What you're asking for sounds to me like a cache chest, which I've asked for repeatedly as well.

A chest that is both a requester and passive provider, configured such that it always wants a certain number of items in it to provide for nearby requests and help steer the bots into not flying clear across the map all the time.

To date modders have told me that there is no good way to do this.
In my mind, Steam is the eternal king of the railway.

quadrox
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by quadrox »

I have made the same request here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23169

Unfortunately it seems we won't get it :(

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Added also that post to that linked list.
And from my view as moderator I would like to say that both suggestions about this extension are somehow "limited" and just scraping the possibilities. There are a lot more suggestions in that lists, which do more useful changes. For example that one:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21413 Rework of the Logistic Chests (Unified Logistic Chests)

And, yes, currently it looks like that the logistic as it is now will not be changed once more before 1.0. But till then it is a lot of time, everything can happen.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”