On and off switches are a must!

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

CrescentStar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

On and off switches are a must!

Post by CrescentStar »

So as I'm building up my first factories I notice that I may have built a couple more power plants then first intended. I wanted to shut them down to save pollution but couldn't. Okay.. Have to mess around a bit rebuilding them as I need. I went to play with solar panels and then noticed a new trend, the power that was being alleviated from my steam plants were big enough to shut down 4 of my plants.

Later I'm trying to plan a large production line and want to build the things as I go along. Well sadly this couldn't happen as well without there being several objects flashing that they have no power, or the line running wile I'm still trying to figure things out.

Please put an on off switch and make power plants shut down when they're low on power output, or at least add an option for under X stress shut down Y plant.

FrozenOne
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: On and off switches are a must!

Post by FrozenOne »

Steam engines don't make pollution, only boilers do, and only as much as is needed for the electricity, so the problem you describe is just in your imagination ;)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

CrescentStar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by CrescentStar »

FrozenOne wrote:Steam engines don't make pollution, only boilers do, and only as much as is needed for the electricity, so the problem you describe is just in your imagination ;)
Huh, didn't know that. Kinda silly of me thinking they did now that I think about it. XD
Thanks for showing me a chart that I have no clue what it means.

---
So I stand completely corrected when it comes to power. O well that's what happens when you're learning a game. I still hold onto my statement about wanting on and off switches for the other devices. (Factories, mines, ect.)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

CrescentStar wrote:
Thanks for showing me a chart that I have no clue what it means.
Just try to rebuilt it. You will see. If not ask. :)
So I stand completely corrected when it comes to power. O well that's what happens when you're learning a game. I still hold onto my statement about wanting on and off switches for the other devices. (Factories, mines, ect.)
See https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ?f=3&t=678 :
- (If time allows!) more circuit logic (circuits for electricity, trains, liquids, etc.)
My interpretation: It's on the way... if not in v0.10 then in v0.11... :)

Tenebrous
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tenebrous »

It would be immensely useful to be able to turn parts of your electricity network on or off.

For example, if you run low of coal for whatever reason, just turn off the section for science pack production but leave the coal miners operating.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Until this is implemented have a deep look into here https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... cumulators
:)

Tenebrous
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tenebrous »

Actually, it occurs to me that on/off switches would be awesome for a lot of other reasons.

However, in addition to being able to switch parts of your network off/on, as well as specific machines etc... if we could name the switches and have a remote control panel (probably after a lot of research!), that would be pretty darned useful.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”