Events

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Mendel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Events

Post by Mendel »

TLDR Basically I´m proposing some random events that add variety to the game if enabled by the player.

Two of my favorite games at the moment are Factorio and Rimworld. Both have elements that I feel would fit well in the other game as well. In Rimworld there are more or less random events that make the gameplay less of a routine. (and in the other direction inserters and belts would be great in that other game but that is discussion for different forum) I know some people might not appreciate more RNG to enter their game but I would feel like welcoming it at least as a toggleable option.

Why add events? To make the gameplay different across several playthroughs, add variety and different challenges so you cant do it exactly the same way every time.

So what would events be?

There would be both positive and negative events that would affect your gameplay. Events might be completely random or they could be based on time played and get increasingly severe over time

positive examples:

Space debris: Resources raining from the sky! what was it this time? couple of boxes of blue chips! maybe a fallen satellite? or just some iron ore if not so lucky.
Oxygen spree: (because of algae/plants or whatever) All burning is now faster and hotter, bonuses to smelting and vehicles speed.
Black gold: Some oil fields are refilled due to some more oil dripping into the fields from underground reserves
Alien disaster: a disease/meteor/flood/earthquake/fire has struck some of the local bugs bases. Bases and aliens in an area are dead and they have left artifacts behind.
etc

negative:

Cloudy: solar panels give less electricity for a few days
Eclipse / volcano eruption: no sun at all for a few days
Solar flare: electricity negatively affected, some high tech buildings damaged. Power armor disabled.
Rainstorm: some ground is turned into mud and movement speed is reduced
Siege: a queen spitter is attacking from far away, damaging your base and is way out of reach of your turrets. Attack it quickly before things turn sour!
etc
Poison cloud: it is approaching and it will kill everything in its wake but buildings remain unaffected.
Earthquake: Buildings and alien nests damaged in an area

Neutral: Killing time!
Aliens are now more powerful (buff in health and damage) for a while but their nests also drop more artifacts.

You get the idea. Maybe you have even better ideas for what might happen.

implementation: maybe as dlc after 1.0? possible to only add support for this in main game to enable modders to do this if its not already possible?

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Events

Post by aubergine18 »

This mod adds weather, which in turn has effect on pollution spread, solar panels, etc. https://mods.factorio.com/mods/ludsoe/moweather
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Events

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=342 Events (Environmental Disasters and Weather) / Biome-Types
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”