SteamCMD Capable Headless Server

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

SchwererKonigstiger
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

SteamCMD Capable Headless Server

Post by SchwererKonigstiger »

First off, this is not a gameplay suggestion or request. This is about the administration of future Factorio Servers and automation with them.

I'd like to request having a steam dedicated server that can be downloading using SteamCMD.
This would simplify building, updating, and running Factorio servers immensely.

Currently, building a server for another game, such as ArmA 3, is as simple as calling

Code: Select all

force_install_dir ./dir/
then

Code: Select all

app_update >appcode< validate
With this, it is possible to build a bash file that will automatically update your server whenever it is run.

I know everyone here is a fan of automation, so it would be extremely helpful towards my own server automation to have the headless server available on Steam.
I understand that this may not be possible immediately, but for future releases, it would streamline the update process.
There is also the ability to define what branch of server you would want in SteamCMD, so updates to experimental build would be quick and easy, and allow server admins to keep up-to-date with players who have selected the "latest experimental" build that automatically updates.

As an alternative to this, having a static link that points to the latest build and not the version number would also be helpful.

Ninja_Dog81
Inserter
Inserter

Re: SteamCMD Capable Headless Server

Post by Ninja_Dog81 »

How do you install Experimental now though? Struggling like heck to get this right.

I agree though, the SteamCMD option is a great one!

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”