All signals work as path signals ([0.13.20] Rails driving me crazy)

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

PhantomX
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

All signals work as path signals ([0.13.20] Rails driving me crazy)

Post by PhantomX »

Ok I'm trying to work with a dual rail system. They are side by side with right side going N/E and Left going S/W. This works fine UNLESS I do a cross. It seems not be creating a proper "block" though it says it is. Look at the attached pictures to know more.

The system work really well even without signals, but I need a few signals here and there to prevent trains from running into other. Is there a way to make or give the option to signals or trains not to check crossovers UNLESS the train is specially pathing through the crossover, as you can see in the second picture the trains is stopping because it "sees" the other train through the crossover even thought the train isnt using that path. Yes, I know can space them out and place signals there, but I've already made quite the extensive rail system using this which worked for awhile till I started adding more and more crossovers. In some cases it was "seeing" trains way further away than the block with crossovers, like almost across the map in some cases. Just a suggestion, dont know if this can be considered a bug or just a minor issue. If I knew more about Lua i believe i could make something to fix it. Also, it would be nice for a de-jam function to the signals and trains. where if it detects a jam it will try to resolve it with some logic if possible and if not at least alert the player of the issue.

I dont know if this will be addressed or not, if you need anymore input or files let me know.
Attachments
what is it doing in this case
what is it doing in this case
Double Rail Setup problem.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 2591 times
My double raid setup
My double raid setup
Double Rail Setup.jpg (966.35 KiB) Viewed 2591 times
Last edited by ssilk on Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed title according to discussion.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.13.20] Rails driving me crazy

Post by Loewchen »

I am afraid this is not acceptable for a bug report. Please see here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3638 and make a new report, one report per defect.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

You are basically requesting that signals should work as path signals in ttd: https://wiki.openttd.org/Signals#Path_signals
This is not a bad request, and it is possible that one day, we will want to do it, but I don't consider it a bug report.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

But I just got used to them the way they are D=

You've run into a fairly typical problem with having the rails side-by-side, if you were to put a signal on the crossing rail BETWEEN your parallel rails you wouldn't have a problem.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: All signals work as path signals ([0.13.20] Rails driving me crazy)

Post by ssilk »

I dunno. This issue is an issue of letting too less space.

See also
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25856 Allow rail signals closer together
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13825 Explain intersection based vs. loop based rail networks
And some more.....
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

PhantomX
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by PhantomX »

Sorry then, I thought it was bug, I figured that was how the signals worked, Ive only had the game for a couple of weeks now. Kinda wish I understood LUA I'd give a crack at the Path Signal idea. If you want go ahead an remove this or do I need to do so. Also, thanks for the quick reply glad to see a helpful community for a change.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

PhantomX wrote:Kinda wish I understood LUA I'd give a crack at the Path Signal idea.
As far as I know, the LUA modding API does not allow you to fundamentally change the behavior of train signals. At least I was unable to find any such possibility in the API documentation. Or did I overlook something?

I also would love to see OpenTTD style path signals in Factorio.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”