More intresting Solar Power

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

aradanwen
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

More intresting Solar Power

Post by aradanwen »

Instead of, or perhaps as an additional tier of solar power generation:

Concentrated solar power, instead of simply having panels, we get mirrors pointing at a central power, heating water.

it would go something like this: Pump>water transport> solar tower with mirrors> turbine (turbine would only work at high temperatures of water, probably high volume too)
its ment as a way to make solar power more intresting and less mindless, so as incentives it would produce significantly more power per square meter, but be more expensive upfront and harder to design.

to make it more intresting:

Mirror maintenance, done by drones of course, perhaps drone either need to repair the mirrors at really slow intervals.

Turbine wearing down through use: the turbine could slowly damage itself, requiring a wiring mechanism to switch the steam to another turbine while drones repair it.

Preheating the water: being able to use boilers to preheat the water (the solar tower would raise its temperature above 100degrees) could allow you to cut down the amount of mirrors used and thus making it more space efficient.

ultimately it would give the player an incentive to figure out the circuit network, use drones, and find logistics solutions for water, and repair packs, to generate more space efficient solar power.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: More intresting Solar Power

Post by ssilk »

One of the ideas already suggested in viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=31440 Ideas Around Energy Production: Solar, Wind, Water, Nuclear, Fusion ...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

aeros1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by aeros1 »

aradanwen wrote:
aradwen said
You meen stirling solar powerplant? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling_engine
Well considering it is quite effective 40%, but not particular bird friendly. But I've never seen flying biters. Though if it tended to deal some damage to floaters(slowly moving gas filled biters.) Or birbers (aka biter birds), which may by accident fly over your solar plant, on migration path or just from scouting, thus provoking biter attack against you or farm, it would be hardly a problem.

HeadsUpHigh
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by HeadsUpHigh »

I like this but not the wearing down part. It doesn't happen on anything else, why would it happen on this specific part of the factory ? Also I can't see a way of doing the whole mirror thing on a circular way around the water tower, but the idea is very interesting.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

OKay, i would suggest: add flyin biters and then add the solar thing to shoot them down, ofc with achivement :P

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”