Deconstruction Warns when not Fitting into Inventory

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Deconstruction Warns when not Fitting into Inventory

Post by ssilk »

When you have a personal roboport (and robots) and you deconstruct, the game makes a simple calculation, if the deconstructed items (plus the items in all stacks, like chests, assemblies etc.) will fit into your inventory (considers also that one item still needs a whole stack). This calculation can be done, while spawning the deconstruction-rectangle.
At least if not fitting, it displays some simple warning but still begins with deconstruction (cause you can immediately cancel the deconstruction).

Background:
I'm comming from posting.php?mode=reply&f=6&t=31231#pr197381 When deconstructing a chest, logistic bots remove it's items
where we discussed around gaps in the implementation of personal roboport and that it is unfinished yet.
MeduSalem wrote:
ssilk wrote:For example: If you deconstruct some full chest, your personal robots will easily fill your inventory to a point, where you are not able to do anything. You even cannot change the item in hand. That blows up some of my blood vessels, when I come into that situation. :)
More than that. It made me ragequit the game several times after the personal roboports have been introduced. That's why I'm not using it at all. :P
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Woodmn
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Deconstruction Warns when not Fitting into Inventory

Post by Woodmn »

Possibly make it so that construction robots will place items that cant fit in your inventory inside nearby chests?

Just have some limitations such as that it must be within range of your robo port, must either be empty or contain the items being deconstructed when the tiles to be deconstructed are selected (no walls/wood ending up in your buffers) or be requester chests for that item.

Though a warning would also be nice. Or even just not letting robots fill a slot that had a chest in it within say the first 5 seconds of it being taken out (so you can place a chest without juggling your inventory when its full.
Why are you reading this?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Woodmn wrote:Possibly make it so that construction robots will place items that cant fit in your inventory inside nearby chests?
Just have some limitations such as that it must be within range of your robo port, must either be empty or contain the items being deconstructed when the tiles to be deconstructed are selected (no walls/wood ending up in your buffers) or be requester chests for that item.
That definition "nearby chest", needs to be much more exact.
For example: I don't want to fill the bots the stuff into a passive provider. Or a chest that is connected to circuits. Or a storage chest, that is already filled with another item. Or is it "nearby", if it is 50 tiles away?

IMHO such rules (or exceptions) make no sense, cause if you think it through completely for this case you find more and more rules and that is always a sign of bad design. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Woodmn
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Woodmn »

ssilk wrote:
Woodmn wrote:Possibly make it so that construction robots will place items that cant fit in your inventory inside nearby chests?
That definition "nearby chest", needs to be much more exact.
For example: I don't want to fill the bots the stuff into a passive provider. Or a chest that is connected to circuits. Or a storage chest, that is already filled with another item. Or is it "nearby", if it is 50 tiles away?

IMHO such rules (or exceptions) make no sense, cause if you think it through completely for this case you find more and more rules and that is always a sign of bad design. :)
You make a good point. Maybe limit it to recently placed empty chests (as in the last 2-3 the player placed) that are inside a given chunk from the player?
Why are you reading this?

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”