Reactors multi block structures

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Lord_lammington
Inserter
Inserter

Reactors multi block structures

Post by Lord_lammington »

Hello , I would like to say i am super hyped for what is to come in the 0.14 update and as i read about nuclear reactors a though popped int my mind

Part 1 - The blocks
What if they were multi block structures allowing players to create a reactor any size they want?
Adding blocks like

Reactor Casings (for containing the thing)
Water Valve - For input of water annd heating via the Rods
Rod Distributor - For adding the uranium rods (so you don't have to go into a live reactor to change it)
Uranium Rod Casings - For the uranium (duh!)
Waste Valve - for any radioactive waste (must be barreled *explained later*)
Steam Valve - for the output of the steam form the reactor , added to steam engines or turbines
Control Rods - for changing the temperature of the reactions , controlled using the temperature gauge
Temperature gauges - for measuring the reactor temp and can be connected to a circuit network
Reactor control computer - for turning off ad on the reactor

These reactors would be created by the player to suit size and require mid-late game research

Part 2 - The items

Along with the blocks stated above a few extras should be added along with this such as:
Anti radiation suit - For shielding an amount of radiation with - Associated Power suit upgrade
A Geiger Counter - For telling the player of radiation levels and finding uranium
Anti radiation pills - removes previous radiation effects (explained More later)

Part 3 - The waste

The Reactor produces waste that can only be barreled and placed somewhere. the barrels may be loaded onto trains and deposited somewhere in the world. creating high amounts of pollution where it is FOREVER. Furthermore , the more radioactive waste / reactors the player is exposed to the higher the levels of radiation can occur.

Part 4 - Radiation'

Closely tying onto the radioactive waste is the radiation ... If a player (wearing no Armour) approaches nuclear waste he will begin to experience health loss for short exposure and maximum health loss for longer periods of time say from 100/100 hp to 95/95 hp
hazmat suits will reduce the radiation effects but not eliminating them from the player.

Part 5 - the aliens
If the player thinks to dump radioactive waste close to alien bases this will do a world of harm as radiation speeds up the evolution factor of aliens dramatically depending on how much is present in the world. this will force the player to keep waste within the confines of their base.

Part 6 - A possible use for waste?

and . as a final idea for a high end game use for waste could be , nothing more than nukes. Nuking aliens could be a way co clear out vast swathes of land though leaving it irradiated for some time (30+ real life hours)

Or send it to space using a rocket :)

Part 7 - Conclusin and WHY this should be a thing

I know these may seem like a lot of code but why this would be such a good addition to the game is obvious . Multi block reactors could add another level of depth to the came and its community. Sparking my discussions on best designs and effective ways to removing the waste

Woodmn
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Reactors multi block structures

Post by Woodmn »

The ability to build massive or tiny reactors would be amazing. Though I am not sure how easy it would be to design a modular sprite without limiting the reactors to specific sizes and then having the inputs/outputs defined by the placement of the blocks, not actually effecting the look of the building. :?
Why are you reading this?

OdinYggd
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OdinYggd »

Woodmn wrote:The ability to build massive or tiny reactors would be amazing. Though I am not sure how easy it would be to design a modular sprite without limiting the reactors to specific sizes and then having the inputs/outputs defined by the placement of the blocks, not actually effecting the look of the building. :?
Coolant channel
Fuel channel
Coolant channel
Fuel channel

Something like this ^

Then you would end up with a grid that behaves similarly to the existing boilers, converting fuel material into hot coolant.

Internally the coolant channel would be exactly like the existing boiler, while the fuel channel would behave like a belt with inserters on both sides.

You then arrange things so that whenever a fuel channel containing fuel contacts a coolant channel containing liquid, nuclear fuel is consumed and the liquid is heated. It would then be plug-in compatible with existing infrastructure in the game and allow players to make reactor grid to any size they desire.
In my mind, Steam is the eternal king of the railway.

Lord_lammington
Inserter
Inserter

Woodmn wrote:The ability to build massive or tiny reactors would be amazing. Though I am not sure how easy it would be to design a modular sprite without limiting the reactors to specific sizes and then having the inputs/outputs defined by the placement of the blocks, not actually effecting the look of the building. :?
or tey could be open pool reactors

Woodmn
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Woodmn »

Open pool reactors are used almost exclusively for research purposes due to how bad a radiation blocker water is, so are usually pretty weak. Good for research, thats about it.
Why are you reading this?

Lord_lammington
Inserter
Inserter

Woodmn wrote:Open pool reactors are used almost exclusively for research purposes due to how bad a radiation blocker water is, so are usually pretty weak. Good for research, thats about it.
I guess that is true ... but say there culd be a sprite of a 1x1 , 2x2 and a 3x3 sprite and the game uses an algorithm for how to fill it in

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”