Jet pack

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

chris13524
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Jet pack

Post by chris13524 »

I know this has been suggested before, but I thought I might bring it up again.

I'm suggesting a jet pack, it would be a power armor module, and would run on Rocket Fuel.

You would hold shift to activate it (releasing would drop you). When you use it, you would slingshot around, like the combat robots. You would keep your momentum as long as you hold shift (but slow down slowly due to air resistance). Moving with the arrow keys would accelerate the player, probably reaching a maximum velocity.

To keep it balanced, it would use rocket fuel (10 solid fuel (1-2 oil)), probably going through one every 2 seconds or so (limiting your flight time to 200 seconds). When you run out, you would manually have to add fuel back in.

During flight, biters would not be able to attack you, but spitters can. When spitters hit you, you would gain momentum away from the spitter. This would cause the player to get frustrated (as he keeps getting pushed away from the nest) and stay on the ground to fight. Another option would be that being hit would cause the jet pack to disengage, bringing you to the ground (as it got off balance).

Of course, it would come with it's own technology, with speed and efficiency upgrades.

My main thought for this would be quick jumps over walls or complex areas of your factory. It would be nice to be able to shoot across your entire factory without having to walk in between things. Maybe if (I mean, when) the space platform gets implemented, you would be able to fly over gaps without falling to your death through the atmosphere **.

Can anybody think of cooler uses for a jet pack?

** I guess the space platform is in orbit, you could just float across...

Woodmn
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Jet pack

Post by Woodmn »

This seems like a usefull idea, especially if your like me and moving around your petrochemical area of your factory is a maze. Though the fuel usage seems a little steep, considering that 30 rocket fuel in a locomotive is practicly infinte fuel and that a rocket carrying itself and a satelite to orbit requires 1000 rocket fuel.

But I digress, while yes it should be expensive to keep balance, 1 fuel for say 10 seconds of flight (assuming 1 stack of fuel at any one time) then you would get a more average 100 seconds of flight time from 1 stack of fuel. (Using 1 fuel = 2 seconds you only get 20 seconds of flight).

Not saying that I dont want this, I just think its a little to unrealistic in its fuel consumption.
Why are you reading this?

chris13524
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by chris13524 »

Oh, for some reason I was thinking rocket fuel stacked to 50, 10 sec/block o' fuel would be good I think. I was just spit balling some numbers that sounded close.

Woodmn
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Woodmn »

*sarcastic voice/stuck up voice*
Look at this scrublord, obviously not addicted enough to this game to know the EXACT stack sizes of late game items at a point where their handling is almost entirely automated. Gah, casuals. :P

*sanity returned*
Nobody can blame you for spitballing numbers unless they are literally that guy ^^^
Why are you reading this?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Here the other suggestions I found:

search.php?keywords=jetpack&terms=all&a ... mit=Search

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4065 A fuel based jetpack
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1843 Personal Jetpack for Base Navigation
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21092 Jet pack (but not in modular armor)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”