Trains: semi-automatic mode and autopilot

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

XKnight
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Trains: semi-automatic mode and autopilot

Post by XKnight »

Finally with 0.13.17 we can slightly control our trains using circuit network, but I think we need more...
In my opinion, devs made a great job by constantly improving train pathfinding algo, fixing bugs in it, and adjusting algo to our needs, but it is extremely hard to satisfy all users with a single algo.
That's why we need to control it.

The only reliable way to affect pathfinding algo is by changing penalty of some blocks (yeah, and it is not possible at this moment), but what does this penalty mean? For the regular player without any knowledge about internal constants inside PF algo and its implementation details these constants just a dumb numbers.

That's why I will not propose to add any penalty items, but I would like to propose to move current PF into a separate mode, like "smart autopilot". Also, new "dumb autopilot" should be added for all other needs. In this new mode train will select any green path that is available, so players should manage all signals using circuit network.

Obviously, it should be possible to switch different autopilots using circuit network, for example when train is passing by a rail signal.

For example:
if you want to create a train depot/waiting bay you should switch train into a "dumb" mode when it enters depot/bay, then manually (this means using rail signals) conduct this train to a free waiting stop, and switch it back into a "smart" mode when it leaves the depot/bay.

This mode will allow players to tweak PF algo without its direct modification, also we will receive a new toy 8-) .

Any ideas?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Trains: semi-automatic mode and autopilot

Post by ssilk »

I think this is to complicated and you will not see, if you programmed it wrong.

My counter suggestion: I want a Really Smart Pathfinder, cause a really smart pathfinder is a pathfinder which knows, where to be smart and where to be dumb. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

quadrox
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by quadrox »

I don't understand your suggestion - I am usually not stupid, but it seems to me you skipped a few steps in your explanation:
XKnight wrote: The only reliable way to affect pathfinding algo is by changing penalty of some blocks (yeah, and it is not possible at this moment), but what does this penalty mean? For the regular player without any knowledge about internal constants inside PF algo and its implementation details these constants just a dumb numbers.
This mostly makes sense to me.
XKnight wrote:That's why I will not propose to add any penalty items, but I would like to propose to move current PF into a separate mode, like "smart autopilot". Also, new "dumb autopilot" should be added for all other needs. In this new mode train will select any green path that is available, so players should manage all signals using circuit network.
How is this different from the current autopilot? How does it relate to the penalty system you proposed above?
XKnight wrote: Obviously, it should be possible to switch different autopilots using circuit network, for example when train is passing by a rail signal.
Ok, that sounds good, but I still don't understand what the proposed new autopilot does different.
XKnight wrote:For example:
if you want to create a train depot/waiting bay you should switch train into a "dumb" mode when it enters depot/bay, then manually (this means using rail signals) conduct this train to a free waiting stop, and switch it back into a "smart" mode when it leaves the depot/bay.
I really don't understand this part. Why would you need to switch modes when entering a depot? what would the different modes do different? Please explain in more detail.

XKnight
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by XKnight »

More explanations to the God of Explanations.

Autopilot usually has its own criteria which should be optimized, in our case this metric is a travel time (and maybe traveled distance).
Although each autopilot wants to optimize its own metric the whole system may not reach its maximum.
First example
Second example
Last example
quadrox wrote:
XKnight wrote: Obviously, it should be possible to switch different autopilots using circuit network, for example when train is passing by a rail signal.
Ok, that sounds good, but I still don't understand what the proposed new autopilot does different.
The only difference - is hiding PF's implementation details (penalty system) from player and adding possibility to affect train's brain, that's all.

P.S. sorry for bad pictures ;)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Nice explanation, much afford. :)

Your first example shows a problem which can be solved with the latest patch about train signals (better: I think/hope so).
Instead of making the trains smart make the train-control smart: Switching the slow, long train to the side-track if a fast train follows seems to be possible now.
The same is true for the last example.

And for the second example: Even in real world such problems cannot be solved by teams of genious people.
And it is not needed, cause in realworld we have bridges/tunnels.
That will be much easier and more understandable, than any of the discussed changes. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

XKnight
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by XKnight »

ssilk wrote: Your first example shows a problem which can be solved with the latest patch about train signals (better: I think/hope so).
Yes, it will. Heavy train will select free path, but it will not wait there. So you will have to
- open waiting path, close main path
- heavy train is going into waiting path
- open main path, close waiting path
- wait until fast train pass through this block
- open waiting path

I would say: this is a train trap :lol:
ssilk wrote: The same is true for the last example.
Unfortunately, in this case the answer is no. Train will never select cirular waiting bay, because it has higher penalty than just waiting on the main track. The same answer is for trains inside this bay: these train won't circulate because every train wants to exit the bay as soon as possible.
ssilk wrote: And for the second example: Even in real world such problems cannot be solved by teams of genious people.
That was just an example, also, real world has a real problems and most of them are thrown away in Factorio.

person3triple0
Inserter
Inserter

Post by person3triple0 »

I think this could also be a balancing issue with a heading of Train Prioritization.

There could be a way to prioritize which trains leave first (maybe using the coloring thing? or some other method).
Reasons it would be useful:
• Base is under attack, but you're on the opposite end
• Set your train to highest priority (emergency), all the other trains put an effort in to either get out of your way, or let you go first, even if it means going in a direction they normally wouldn't go.
Alternatively:
• Setting high level, high cost objects to a low priority, plates to middle, ores to high, coal highest(not emergency, though), so that the factory continues to run if a low level train runs out of fuel and blocks a line.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”