Master Power Switch

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Levendi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Master Power Switch

Post by Levendi »

I have a suggestion that comes in two parts.

Similar to the Deconstruction selection, if you can locally disable power to an area.

I would love to see a MASTER Power Switch assigned to a hot key that would be able to shut down the entire power grid. Sometimes you just need things to stop moving for a moment before it wreaks havoc everywhere. (Maybe even an on-screen pause button to take a moment to look around).

I would have said this could be balanced by also shutting down defenses, but that would only be applicable to Laser turrets. Perhaps a cool-down penalty before you can re engage the system.

To help with immersion, this can maybe be a part of the Technology tree as either an item that needs to be place at Generators' connection point, etc.

Woodmn
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Master Power Switch

Post by Woodmn »

From the sounds of things you can technically already do this reasonably simply and without you needing to shut down your defenses. Just build your production areas far enough way from each other that their power doesn't overlap and then have each one's power funneled through a single switch. You can then hook up a load of them to chests or controllers and configure them so when you place a certain item in the chest (say a belt to shut down belt production) then the switch will turn off and unpower that production area.
Why are you reading this?

Levendi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Levendi »

Woodmn wrote:From the sounds of things you can technically already do this reasonably simply and without you needing to shut down your defenses. Just build your production areas far enough way from each other that their power doesn't overlap and then have each one's power funneled through a single switch. You can then hook up a load of them to chests or controllers and configure them so when you place a certain item in the chest (say a belt to shut down belt production) then the switch will turn off and unpower that production area.
I mention the Defense shutting down as a possible, intended, downside to have the capability; this would only apply to laser turrets anyhow.

Unfortunately a afterwards, the main issue is that the conveyors run regardless, and the idea I had in mind would stop those as well.

Basically like any Factory, you'd have the ability for and Emergency Stop.

With the Local area selection, I see what you mean about the chest hook up and so forth, but I mean as a way to locally implement this "E-Stop" while you are putting things together.

A possible idea that may be easier from a programming standpoint would be, and maybe something in the tech tree, (Alien related?), would be a global click time slow down except for the avatar to move around and respond to a mishap.
Last edited by ssilk on Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replaced pink color with italics, cause unreadable in Factorio-layout

Woodmn
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Woodmn »

I get what you're trying to acchieve with this, but unless I am understanding you wrong, most of the things this is meant to stop, can just be stoped by either pulling the power to something individual (as in the small/medium power lines powering individual machines) or rotating inserters/belts supplying machines. Without you shutting down defences, something that if something is going horribly wrong, is usually the last thing you want to disable. If you are meaning something like the output of a buffer for instance, then you can controll that using some basic logic, with inserters out only being powered when some requirement is met, similar to how most people set up their oil processing. Even then, if the buffer is just there to absorb overflow then output when extra is needed (like an accumulator), then the buffer can be constantly unloading, then when extra is needed on a belt, "side load" (having a belt on either side of the main belt constantly trying to put respurces into the main belt, filling gaps when they occour) the additional resources to fill the belt to capacity.

If you mean as in the production of all power, then again, separate your power generation/storage from your factory and then either use 1 switch or several wired together to toggle the power.

Basicly I dont really see a point to a master shut off. If you could present an example or screen shot of what you are trying to acchieve then that might help to either explain it or give a solution that works right now.

Also please for the love of <insert deity here> change that text colour! The pink is almost unreadble on a screen.
Why are you reading this?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

On-screen-pause: Shift-space (but doesn't allow to look around).

I think what you want is just a game-speed-slowdown: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/binbinhfr/TimeTools
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

When you deconstruct a belt then it stops moving. When you shift+deconstruct it moves again. Would be nice to do that without construcxtion bots trying to remove the belt.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

They're trying to get belts down to as little impact as possible because they're the most prevalent entity in 99% of factories and the current limiting factor of expansion. Doubt they're going to want to add more to them ^^
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

mrvn wrote:When you deconstruct a belt then it stops moving. When you shift+deconstruct it moves again. Would be nice to do that without construcxtion bots trying to remove the belt.
?
Connect belt with a wire. You can then control start/stop of belt with circuit network.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

ssilk wrote:
mrvn wrote:When you deconstruct a belt then it stops moving. When you shift+deconstruct it moves again. Would be nice to do that without construcxtion bots trying to remove the belt.
?
Connect belt with a wire. You can then control start/stop of belt with circuit network.
Costs you a wire that you don't get back when you remove it. Who made wires not come back unlike EVERYTHING else you remove?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Sorry, mrv, arguing with costs of one wire is irrelevant. :) And the problem with the wires is discussed here viewtopic.php?f=80&t=30845 About Cables and Wires / Make Wires Free / Power Poles Contain Cables

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”