Load balancing of multi-platform train stations

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Telarin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Load balancing of multi-platform train stations

Post by Telarin »

Late in the game, I am bringing in all my resources from distant mines by trains. I usually have an unloading station that consists of 3+ "platforms", basically, 3 stations with the same names so that the trains can use whichever one is free. However, due to the way train logic works, the train chooses the specific destination platform as soon as it departs the mine, and has no way to switch to a different platform if the platform it selected is occupied while the train is still en-route. The end result is trains waiting for a closer slot to open up while there may be 1 or 2 free slots further down the line, since the logic seems to give higher priority to the platform that is closer to the mine. I propose that the logic be changed to assign destinations on a round robin basis when there are multiple destinations, rather than a nearest first basis. This also helps balance out unloading, since it takes far less time to unload the train to chests than it does for the chests to be unloaded to the actual sorter belts.

Sedado77
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Load balancing of multi-platform train stations

Post by Sedado77 »

Yes, a "Station Select" Signal would be nice, as in TTD :)

mikehavliczek
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mikehavliczek »

Definitely agree! And one another function would be nice. A realy hate those end station loops, so if train can go both way, if you add some caboose or control car or simply another locomotive on back of train. Its just an idea, i dont know if engine could handle this.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

That's already working exactly like so!

https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... se_driving

You are the second within a week, which asks this, so this is eventually an important thing to add into game, that makes this more clear... :)

(...and eventually it is would be a good idea to add a direct link into the wiki on the homepage...)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Ezhar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ezhar »

Place a station just before where your track splits into the unloading platforms. Schedule your trains to stop at that station before the unloading station(s). Set the stop time to zero.

hikkiko
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by hikkiko »

how about adding small empty checkpoint station before main one?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

There is a simple rule: if you have a signal before a switch, which enables the train to choose the station, and the train needs to stop at that signal, the path is recalculated. This can be used, that the train chooses the other train stop. But you need to make sure that the path has not too many signals, because the recalculation is only done, if it stops.

So you have the main track, then this switch to the two or more train stops with the same name. Before this switch is a signal and after this switch. Make sure, that the distance to the switch is not too short, because this somehow forbids the recalculation. Then we have enough space for the train to stop before the train stop. And then the next signal is after the train stop. With my experience, the train prefers the stop, which is empty then.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”