Construction bots should not try to repair moving vehicle

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

imajor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Construction bots should not try to repair moving vehicle

Post by imajor »

It is pretty frustrating when I'm using a train engine to reach some distant point fast, and when the vehicle gets any damage (usually collide with other trains) construction robots in my personal roboport immediately jump out to repair. But since the train is too fast for them, they tail away. If I don't want to loose them, I have to slow down. Same thing happens when driving a tank through a forest. I usually just remove my personal roboport before the forest as a workaround. If the robots would only repair slow vehicles, the player could decide if they want repair. If so, they would just slow down.

OdinYggd
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Construction bots should not try to repair moving vehicle

Post by OdinYggd »

I rely on the construction bots fixing the tank while moving to improve its tankiness during a shootout with the biters, but the only time I have bots getting left behind are when they run out of charge, aside from early in the game when they aren't up to full speed yet.

At the same time, the bots probably should be intelligent enough to recognize when a target is moving at a speed exceeding perhaps half of their max flight speed and refuse to repair the object until it slows down to where they can reliably catch up to it. Not only would this help avoid bots getting lost and running out of charge over a biter nest, but it would also set limits how on how much the bots repair each other- they won't even try it unless they are stationary.
In my mind, Steam is the eternal king of the railway.

imajor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by imajor »

OdinYggd wrote:I rely on the construction bots fixing the tank while moving to improve its tankiness during a shootout with the biters, but the only time I have bots getting left behind are when they run out of charge, aside from early in the game when they aren't up to full speed yet.
Hmm I'm probably pretty slow with research then. I remember robots were much slower than the tank for a very long time. Except when I was driving through a really dense forest, then the trees slowed down the tank enough. But they have no chance to catch a running train engine for sure.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=20566 Changes for the Personal Roboport
even knowing, that you mean all kinds of robots, not only those in PR.
But the point is the relative speed to the to be repaired or constructed stuff. There is no difference if construction bots a jumping out, if you sit in a car or train and want to repair something on ground, or if they jump out for a damaged train.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”