HOW TO OBTAIN:
Lily Pads are found in pools of water. Break it to get 1 piece of Algae.
Plant the Algae in any body of water and it will grow over the top of it, slowly spreading to cover the entire surface. The water will have dark green flecks on top of it when there is algae there. By placing a Harvester over the water pool (much like a Mining Drill over an ore deposit), the algae will get harvested. The harvester will harvest all algae in its radius, so you need to place some algae outside the Harvester's radius so it can spread again.
Mathematics: The Harvester will also consume about 90 kW of power just like the Electric Mining Drill. Each piece of algae would be about the size of a piece of Ore. Every 30 seconds, each piece has a 50% chance to spread to its side, as long as the piece of algae would be placed on water. (Please help me with this part to make sure it's alright for the fuel value and stuff)
- Can be used as a fuel source (6 MJ) right off the bat.
- Algae capsules: Crafted with 5 Algae, restores 30 health. Requires the Algae Capsule technology, which itself requires the beginning Medical Care technology (doesn't give any crafts).
- Biodiesel: Made in a Chemical Plant; requires Bio Processing research (which requires blue science and Oil Processing prerequisites). Made with Algae and Water in the Chemical Plant, but can also be made with Light Oil to give extra. Can be condensed into Solid Fuel with 1.5 droplets per.
There isn't much variety in power gen today. We have 3 good options; all balanced out. Nuclear would be nice, but several other threads discuss that already (same with wind). This provides a new mechanic to the game that isn't in currently: farming. You also have to think about your farming setup as to not eradicate all the algae in the pond.
- Would this be possible/easy to implement for the devs in the current game?
- Is this idea balanced? If not, how can I improve it?
- Would you, personally, use it?
This is a revamped version of my old suggestion, which can be found here:
Now, this is my first suggestion, so it sucks. Everyone's first suggestion sucks. So I'd like some constructive criticism on how to improve this suggestion.