[0.9.4] inserter doesn't make use of its full stack bonus

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

LoSboccacc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.9.4] inserter doesn't make use of its full stack bonus

Post by LoSboccacc »

consider this setup

A is a smart inserter that insert copper

B is a smart inserter that insert iron

C is a fast inserter

overall this setup is mediated by the chest: if less than 100 copper is in the requester chest, inserter A moves copper in. if less than 100 iron is present, inserter B moves iron in.

they move one item at a time, so the blue inserter should be able, having stack bonus +1, to move all item to the requester chest.

what actually happens is: inserter C moves all of the first item in the chest - say copper.
as it move item faster, eventually reach 0 copper. at this time, it picks up the last copper, but iron is in the second slot.
while it move the copper, inserter A insert 1 copper.
at this point inserter C get back, see 1 copper in the first chest slot, and picks that up.

eventually, iron accumulates as C can't never get to the bottom of the copper pile, preferring moving one copper from the first slot instead of two irons from the second slot.

could it be made so that if first pickable slot has less than inserter size bonus, it moves a subsequent slot instead, without killing performances to much?

Coolthulhu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.9.4] inserter doesn't make use of its full stack bonu

Post by Coolthulhu »

This should be in suggestions, because it's not a bug.

Good suggestion, though.
It would be even cooler if inserter could mix item types. Would make stack sizes 4 and 5 more meaningful.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.9.4] inserter doesn't make use of its full stack bonu

Post by ssilk »

I moved that from bugs into suggestions, obvious reason.

I had a similar problem with logistic bots. I inserted very, very fast via inserters and took out by logistic bot and the bots take always the leftmost stack. In my eyes the algorithm should be: if there are three different items in the chest, the chance is 1/3 for each item to be the next after emptying a stack.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”