Place gates above diagonal rails

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Post Reply
Natha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 155
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:48 pm
Contact:

Place gates above diagonal rails

Post by Natha »

In my current factory, one of the tracks going to an outpost is diagonal. I now wanted to border my main factory with walls, but the rails are currently free of gates:
diagonal-walls-1.png
diagonal-walls-1.png (2.34 MiB) Viewed 4055 times
A possible solution is to build 90 degree curves, but this looks ugly:
diagonal-walls-2.png
diagonal-walls-2.png (2.53 MiB) Viewed 4055 times
It would be cool to make gates possible to build above diagonal rails!

User avatar
ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 12088
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Place gates above diagonal rails

Post by ssilk »

I dunno. I mean: If you won't rebuild the rails, cause it looks ugly, then my standpoint is the same: I don't like to have straight gates on diagonal rails, cause that looks just ... ugly. Well we can say "taste" here, but I think the argument to have something, so that it doesn't look ugly otherwise is also just taste. We can argue endless here. :)

<shrug> What now?

What's really needed to solve this conflict are diagonal walls. Cause that would make much sense. And then there is a good reason to add diagonals gates of course.

Everything else is a useless compromise in my eyes.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Natha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 155
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Place gates above diagonal rails

Post by Natha »

Oh, yes the thing with taste...you may have right.

Diagonal walls and gates are another thing what I've been thinking but I forgot to write it down :o

Klakh
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:29 am
Contact:

Re: Place gates above diagonal rails

Post by Klakh »

Up :)

I think it would be great for those last improvements :p

Even though I don't know how hard it is coding wise.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1657
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Place gates above diagonal rails

Post by bobucles »

Wow, gates really can't be placed on diagonal rails. That definitely seems like an oversight.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 11857
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:23 am
Contact:

Re: Place gates above diagonal rails

Post by Rseding91 »

bobucles wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:16 am
Wow, gates really can't be placed on diagonal rails. That definitely seems like an oversight.
It's not, they specifically have no logic to be built over diagonals and so reject being built over them.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Darinth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 321
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Place gates above diagonal rails

Post by Darinth »

Rseding91 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:08 pm
bobucles wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:16 am
Wow, gates really can't be placed on diagonal rails. That definitely seems like an oversight.
It's not, they specifically have no logic to be built over diagonals and so reject being built over them.
Caaaan we have the logic added? Pretty please? ^_^

(Sorry ssilk, I'm firmly in the 'let my straight walls cross over my angled/curving tracks camp)

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 11857
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:23 am
Contact:

Re: Place gates above diagonal rails

Post by Rseding91 »

Darinth wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:28 pm
Rseding91 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:08 pm
bobucles wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:16 am
Wow, gates really can't be placed on diagonal rails. That definitely seems like an oversight.
It's not, they specifically have no logic to be built over diagonals and so reject being built over them.
Caaaan we have the logic added? Pretty please? ^_^

(Sorry ssilk, I'm firmly in the 'let my straight walls cross over my angled/curving tracks camp)
Sorry, no. That would mean new sprites, new wall logic, new rendering, and that's just not going to happen.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Darinth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 321
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Place gates above diagonal rails

Post by Darinth »

Bah. I had to try. <3

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1657
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Place gates above diagonal rails

Post by bobucles »

Don't worry I gochu my eff ayy emm. Lore patch incoming.

You see the issue is that gates utilize magnetic sensors that detect the motion of swift moving metal objects. They align and calibrate themselves on the planet's magnetic field, conveniently placed on the longitudinal axis, while stabilizing the signal with a horizontal stabilizer. When a magnetic field approaches obliquely, it throws the stabilizers into disarray, so the gate doesn't know what is coming or going. After many broken gates and dented cow catchers the engineer decided the problem was more easily resolved by adjusting the planet's magnetic field. By launching metallic rockets into space, he can introduce a second competing magnetic field to override the planet's own. That way the gate sensors can be calibrated to the artificial magnetic and allow them to operate on non cardinal avenues.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 2333
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:02 am
Contact:

Re: Place gates above diagonal rails

Post by Jap2.0 »

Rseding91 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:59 pm
Darinth wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:28 pm
Rseding91 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:08 pm
bobucles wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:16 am
Wow, gates really can't be placed on diagonal rails. That definitely seems like an oversight.
It's not, they specifically have no logic to be built over diagonals and so reject being built over them.
Caaaan we have the logic added? Pretty please? ^_^

(Sorry ssilk, I'm firmly in the 'let my straight walls cross over my angled/curving tracks camp)
Sorry, no. That would mean new sprites, new wall logic, new rendering, and that's just not going to happen.
I mean, you are making plenty of new sprites already and you're reworking the entire rendering system, so...
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

lilstrip
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Place gates above diagonal rails

Post by lilstrip »

why would be such a problem to add new gate sprites? I mean ive been wanting to build diagonal walls for a whe now but can't since its not in yet and its quite problematic since diagonal portions of rails make up alot of peoples bases...

voddan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 122
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Place gates above diagonal rails

Post by voddan »

Rseding91 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:59 pm
Darinth wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:28 pm
Rseding91 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:08 pm
bobucles wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:16 am
Wow, gates really can't be placed on diagonal rails. That definitely seems like an oversight.
It's not, they specifically have no logic to be built over diagonals and so reject being built over them.
Caaaan we have the logic added? Pretty please? ^_^

(Sorry ssilk, I'm firmly in the 'let my straight walls cross over my angled/curving tracks camp)
Sorry, no. That would mean new sprites, new wall logic, new rendering, and that's just not going to happen.
@Rseding91 are we to understand that this is unlikely to happen before the release, but diagonal walls may be added later when the schedule allows? Or is there a purely technical reason why no wall can be diagonal?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 11857
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:23 am
Contact:

Re: Place gates above diagonal rails

Post by Rseding91 »

It's not a planned feature and isn't likely to happen before 1.0 if ever.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 2333
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:02 am
Contact:

Re: Place gates above diagonal rails

Post by Jap2.0 »

Rseding91 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:29 pm
It's not a planned feature and isn't likely to happen before 1.0 if ever.
Wait, wait, sometimes you work on planned features and not just random ideas that you like?

Also, you're actually planning on releasing 1.0 sometime?
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

User avatar
bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 7323
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 1:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Place gates above diagonal rails

Post by bobingabout »

I would find gates over diagonal tracks very useful.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Sad_Brother
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Place gates above diagonal rails

Post by Sad_Brother »

Diagonal walls would be useful. Diagonal gates would be better, but it would need new gate logic.
Cross diagonal rails with straight gate would be useful. Cross with diagonal gates would be better.
Each rails/gate combination need new sprites. And there are so many of hem...

lilstrip
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Place gates above diagonal rails

Post by lilstrip »

why wouldn't diagonal walls be useful? I mean making the sprites shouldn't be too hard especially when stuff like this should be added instead of reworking belt sprites since that takes alot more time to make... Diagonal walls would drastically change esthetics and the way we build defences in a good way and I think delaying or even ignoring this would be a huge bummer!

Post Reply

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”