Rotational Lag in Turrets

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.
Post Reply
kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 344
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:32 am
Contact:

Rotational Lag in Turrets

Post by kiba » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:25 pm

Rotation seems instant. But I think it would be interesting if they have some lag in rotating the turrets.

This way biters could actually flank those turrets.

Also, turrets will probably have to be adjusted to become area effect weapons as they are in real life, instead of 100% accuracy on one target.

User avatar
ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 10461
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Rotational Lag in Turrets

Post by ssilk » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:33 pm

Turrets have an angle-speed; this is used in some mods (AFAIK). You can also create/mod weapons, that have missiles, which explode like grenades.
So from THAT side it can be said it is nearly implemented (can be used).

Could you explain why the turrets should have a lag in the rotation, how does it help the game-play? Why should I use such a lousy weapon?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 344
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:32 am
Contact:

Re: Rotational Lag in Turrets

Post by kiba » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:16 pm

ssilk wrote:Turrets have an angle-speed; this is used in some mods (AFAIK). You can also create/mod weapons, that have missiles, which explode like grenades.
So from THAT side it can be said it is nearly implemented (can be used).

Could you explain why the turrets should have a lag in the rotation, how does it help the game-play? Why should I use such a lousy weapon?
It allows for interesting 'tactical' possibilities like flanking maneuver which is not possible since it is instant.

This way, an enemy could attack from behind or from the side. The players will be forced to decide which directions merit more attention.

User avatar
ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 10461
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Rotational Lag in Turrets

Post by ssilk » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:02 am

I would say, I will always decide to use turrets without that, cause they have only disadvantages compared to the current turrets. And now? :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 344
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:32 am
Contact:

Re: Rotational Lag in Turrets

Post by kiba » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:24 am

ssilk wrote:I would say, I will always decide to use turrets without that, cause they have only disadvantages compared to the current turrets. And now? :)
This is why I suggested implementing field effects to make them more effective to compensate.

IRL, the machine gun is frequently used for suppressive fire, degrading the performance of enemy troops for the duration of the fire. This is where the idea of being pinned down come from. There's no such concept in the game, since there's no cover systems and no psychology.

With that in mind, the devs could implement alien psychology. For example, 50% dead biters, this become a rout. Or maybe the biters will be more suicidal if they got big brothers helping them out. Alternately, they don't care a wilt and will just attack, attack, attack!

Edit: Also, all turrets should have lags in rotation, not just guns.

mattj256
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:25 am
Contact:

Re: Rotational Lag in Turrets

Post by mattj256 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:28 am

kiba wrote:I think it would be interesting if they have some lag in rotating the turrets.
Ok, and there should be technology that increases the turrets' rotational speed.

It doesn't bother me if a fully-upgraded turret can instantly turn and fire on its target. It does seem a bit weird that straight out of the box the turrets turn so quickly.

User avatar
ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 10461
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Rotational Lag in Turrets

Post by ssilk » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:16 am

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=14640 New Weapons / New Defenses & Armor / Combat / Turrets

My personal feel is, this this is not really a good direction; current strategy is simple: Build defense, the more the better. :) This changes it to more complexity, but I currently still don't see, how this rises the game-play. ;)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 344
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:32 am
Contact:

Re: Rotational Lag in Turrets

Post by kiba » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:11 pm

ssilk wrote:Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=14640 New Weapons / New Defenses & Armor / Combat / Turrets

My personal feel is, this this is not really a good direction; current strategy is simple: Build defense, the more the better. :) This changes it to more complexity, but I currently still don't see, how this rises the game-play. ;)
It raises gameplay in that we are forced to consider more the layout of our turrets and where we place our defenses, emphasizing more chokepoints as defensive positioning.

Post Reply

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users