Adding well pumps

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Adding well pumps

Post by Engimage »

Currently water in Factorio (vanilla) can be produced only by Offshore pumps. The water out of them is totally free and comes in enormous quantities. However it is required for things like Oil processing which might not have an access to open water in a reasonable distance. But Oil processing does not require insane amounts of water compared to Steam engines so here I come.

While the idea is already introduced in some mods like Water Well or in Bob's mods I would like to introduce my vision on this.

First of all we need a clear way to understand the productivity of all kinds of water pumps. I have made a separate thread about it.

Now I do propose adding two types of well pumps to the game.

1. Burner well pump.
This pump will require solid fuel to function and will require solid fuel engines to be made as well as a few other resources such as stone and iron. Nothing in the game comes for free and this is a pay for it.
Using solid fuel for such pump in the oil processing area will also make use of solid fuel from oil subproducts.
It makes sense for this pump to produce much less water compared to offshore pump. But it should not be insanely small so refinery operations will consume say all the light oil for this purpose only.

2. Electric well pump.
This pump will obviously require electricity to function and will require electric engine in its recipe. It will also make use of modules as most other similar structures do.

So these pumps can be placed anywhere on the ground. You might alter its yield based on biome it is placed upon like lowest on a desert and highest on grasslands.
I have seen the idea of placing oil-like resource nodes but I find it being too difficult as you might obviously get oil camp without any water nodes nearby which totally neglects the use of such pumps.

Sure thing the best and easiest solution for you will be finding access to open water for offshore pump but you will be able to set up distant oil camps if your map really lacks water (or even has it completely disabled or only in starter area).

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”