[0.13.X] Even smarter trains

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Vasillo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.13.X] Even smarter trains

Post by Vasillo »

The new train system is all fine and dandy, but i have found an issue, The trains, well stations, don't tell the circuit network how much items are in the train, making it difficult to have compact train stations that load a certain amount of cargo.
also with the new train system, they have an amazing arrangement of when to leave the station, but not when they should head to one ie: If fuel < 25 then go to _____

tl;dr trains need to communicate with the circuit network

TheUnknown007
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.13.X] Even smarter trains

Post by TheUnknown007 »

+1 for these suggestions.

Related (negation of condition for when to go to a station): skip stations (already has its own threads, like this one: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25944&p=164178)

Having a condition for when to go to a station can still be useful when it can override the current list: no matter where you are in the normal mode of operation, if fuel is less than 100 kJ (example, I dunno what a good number might be) go to fueling station.
Adding stations like this can then have three modes of operation:
- check for condition only when at the current position in list (basically, skip fueling station if condition is false)
- check for condition when leaving a station (when leaving another station, check to see whether to go to fueling)
- check continuously (go to fueling as soon as condition is true, even when already driving to another station) (This might be a bit CPU intensive when not optimised, especially for more complex conditions, like go to fueling when fuel is low and fueling is within 1000 tiles (path length) and that path has a maximum weight (weight = desirableness of taking this path as opposed to another, possibly longer path))

Lucius
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Lucius »

I agree that the train system would need some few last tweeks and adjustments (station skipping, "go to" commands), but i'm overall satisfied with how it works now!
Could be much worse ;)

This game is indeed about automation but too much of that and you will defeat its whole purpose!
Right now as you play you are pushed to solve a gagillion of little optimization problems.

You want to load a train with a super-specific cargo? Well, if you cleverly use the circuit network network I bet you could do that!
Don't expect an easy straight-forward solution though, since the problem wasn't easy in the first place!
Squeeze your brain and give it a try! If some players have built ENTIRE COMPUTERS with the circuit network, then your problem can't be that unsolvable! I can already think of a thing or two... :mrgreen:

In a few words: if every little problem had only a one easy-lazy solution, this game would be just reduced to mindless repetitive grinding typical of many other open-world games.

As for the fuel, an inserter and a steel chest full of coal at each station will last you for far more than you'll probably need! :lol:
I use requester chests in my main station and i've never run in any refueling problem!

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

+1

Add SmartTrains (the mod) to Vanilla.

(Until then, use SmartTrains :) )
Is your railroad worrying you? Doctor T-Junction recommends: Smart, dynamic train deliveries with combinator Magick

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

+1
Train inventory from station network was suggested here as well viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28483

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”