[0.13] Circuit set lamp color should pick highest value

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[0.13] Circuit set lamp color should pick highest value

Post by Nexela »

Currently sending multiple color signals to a lamp will just pick 1 to use. (as per the tooltip). My proposed change is to have it change based on the highest value in the color signal.

for example if I send the following to 1 lamp:

Green 20
Red 30
Yellow 10

Then lamp color should turn red

Edit: fixed.
If this is a duplicate my searchfoo is broken......
Last edited by Nexela on Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattj256
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.13] Circuit set lamp color should pick highest value

Post by mattj256 »

Nexela wrote:for example if I send the following to 1 lamp:

Green 20
Red 30
Yellow 10

Then lamp color should turn yellow.
Don't you mean red? Or am I missing something?

I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not. It's already possible to select out the highest value using combinators, so it's really a question of whether it's worth the performance penalty to provide this functionality. This would be great functionality for a mod. I'm not sure if it belongs in vanilla.

The Eriksonn
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Lamp Colors

Post by The Eriksonn »

Joined, cause both authors are twins but didn't know it till now :) -- ßilk

When setting color signals from circuit network, the lamp uses the first color that it encounters. I think it would be nice if the lamp used the signal with the strongest value instead, as it makes it easier to for example make a screen with colored lamps.(a thing i would want in my new computer project :D)

Evilreaver
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Lamps with >1 color signal should use the highest signal

Post by Evilreaver »

Joined. There must be a nest... :) -- ßilk

I'd like to see more Lamp color options (not colors themselves per se). For example, if a Lamp receives BLUE=5 and RED=4, it should light up with BLUE all things being equal. Then if RED increases to 6, change to RED. :) Ideally have [>],[<] setting for color too (so the player can reverse BLUE/RED conditions in our example if they want)

Right now I believe Lamps only take the 'first' color to meet their condition.

Bonus: have a setting to choose a 'mix' based on signals (ie: BLUE=50,RED=50 show purple, BLUE=10,RED=50 show blue-ish red [20% B, 80% R])

I just hit my 1000th hour in Factorio, I love this game, keep up the good work, .13 is fantastic love you guys <3

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Lamps with >1 color signal should use the highest signal

Post by Nexela »

Joined. There must be a nest... :) -- ßilk
Yes a nest of players that think this should be a feature!

MindChanger
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MindChanger »

Code: Select all

H4sIAAAAAAAA/9WZ226jMBCGXyXi2lnFkKSpKu+LVCvkgpNYMjYyJluE/O5ryEHhYApB3bi9q2DG5v9mfg8kFgsmIswWISoJV1RRkqGy5DghyItJRGMil5FI
PijHSkgPpCIzNwmOyk+0AgVarn9tNIgEV1Kw8IMc8YkKicpLbGiuxHWASbunMlNhRg8cM1SqIjVrnKhUOWYeOC95vrgkODp6GmSkCh8VcZCEcK/aSZJiWe0V
eb89IHKV5pPWjERamF3nXIV7KZKQcpMAKZkTXT8nJ9Hlcd496P1BpSSxUawWrwhpjLYgojLKqar+gdpEvXt+dWO9xcatwf2tvgZ3l1509QdGkvAdImH0cIID
hE11HwSxaWcZTwU6RKUgjIm/Pw6MbwfTyTIeTG1cvhtg3DEu6I/nsn1cfN8h8Xu96r8KOVDgMzSGDmnskvM0j+aGmwTjma0fOi2yBDO2ZDhJm6yWdUPAPlTX
XDdUU0hhXqgj5YdaOJ4pzJUxviYEDfKMmPRMyOws5CgddwOu3BJHg65+c5179S2FfSLyJthM/0bTqvt+5ck13iPvaqDMrWdvm/FLM2410/CdYta1fYeJWY2p
424zGEHnGPUeG8/FtLNTeh0AaJ0G2gBf7ba6m2eZ0I1R4Hmzbk/P+bb39DaWwM62naPnsNu1l5nWlI6Qe+IQ14Nu9Bw3hHVtT7L5GmvbsqceiI5wfdbHmq/7
sQF1O8Cx/b2tB9brvB4MvoPVraN+0KzZmTg6rzv2aXJqgzgj+nOHxY7kQ60A1/ZCv74DDoreK/meMkVk9bPAtBo1D4mCFaA8Jp91Q09RuwreXWL9kbF3h1QV
vr6uHeiH6tli/J0DpspOozpva5tUkeS6x56a1zdttH6TROWSL8I3wuN/S8JHBJYZAAA=
I created some logic to green/yellow/red.
It picks up first signal if colors are equal or color with the biggest signal.
It is for 3 colors, with more colors it would be more complicated

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm. I'm not sure if this is a good idea. Cause it is possible to do this yourself (see above) and if implemented in general it increases the the cpu load in some situations.

Not that I'm against it, but I think this has no high priority, cause of the reasons. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Tynach
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Tynach »

ssilk wrote:Hm. I'm not sure if this is a good idea. Cause it is possible to do this yourself (see above) and if implemented in general it increases the the cpu load in some situations.

Not that I'm against it, but I think this has no high priority, cause of the reasons. :)
There's no way it would increase CPU load, because the calculation is already being performed.

Hover over the constant combinator in the example provided by MindChanger, and look at the information given on the top right panel on the screen. You'll notice it already sorts them from highest number to smallest number.

All they have to do is use the order presented there instead of the order of the internal channel IDs.

xyzyxx
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by xyzyxx »

As it stands, it looks like the lamp uses whichever color is furthest to the left on the signal selection screen.
If we're not going to get lamps choosing colors based on signal strength, could we at least arrange the color IDs according to a spectrum that makes sense?

Rather than
Red-Green-Blue-Yellow-Pink-Cyan

It could be
Red-Yellow-Green-Blue-Cyan-Pink

If this were changed, my design for a color indicator light would work, but right now it doesn't:

Code: Select all

H4sIAAAAAAAA/5VUS4/bIBD+KxFnXDlOIlVa0UtPPfe4qiwCk2RUPCAYb9ey/N+LncR5dCt5fcPwPeabAetXzhvtVrXquQugxN61ECISC2k1a9U7vQenxE9sgoPVd+98
XP0gi0azj0ICMTJCUn1PuskEiQFcYU6QMkXwKe96Uv27KirZqWI9SOOJwIy/M+pVrMUv1UewmWEi62q0qpIGo2mRx8V6GD95EbBg0EIsjG/2SGcX9zpllim/7CYdjt7V
ezjpN/RR9RdonXcsXgwcMCauEx5Ju2sIbxi51U7IS0nTZgHanMQgE4zwJwQyNNfjGD0VwWkGMZpogo6jSyW+CelbDu2n5IwPXTbcEteH6JsaKRMoji0My6LMid+ttmOS
r6L66OTmIefUaOcKp5vwmO9dG5/ivbZsjvcz6Wrq+IR0nEqmxJo4t/IxvkG2CTJ9nsF0juDzw1Q9FHmV+u80TVObq7UYzzIj2z+VH9AxxPESLCk1+5uqzD1Vu7KUSBbe
pz4tQXfgnP8zE6zLmaFayHCMADQTVDeCzUIC0+kbfnPDbxfiA9LvGb/9Wq4v+N2wcKY/eB4GiWaCELpnF/e38/59Gubg8vcSgdtIq/oFyP4FtdohBxkFAAA=
In my blueprint, if the chest has less than 500 iron, we get red because the light is receiving all five signal colors, and red is furthest to the left. If you add 500 iron to the chest, it turns green (but SHOULD turn yellow according to my argument) because the red signal is removed and the lamp uses the next color in line.

abordoli
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by abordoli »

I've been using light states for this... "off", "blinking", "on". It seems that colors is a bit too much in vanilla.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”