Water Reservoir / Fluid Transfer System

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Cheeseycom
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Water Reservoir / Fluid Transfer System

Post by Cheeseycom »

This is kind of two suggestions in one. Sorry if that's a little frowned upon around here, It's my first time on the forum.. but I thought these two concepts kind of went hand-in-hand.

So, I'm loving the addition of landfill in 0.13.x, but I'm wondering if it's a little lob-sided as a tool? Once you pave over a lake, it's gone for good. You're also kind of at the mercy of the map generator with regards to where you can place your steam engines.
What I'm thinking is for there to be a tool that does the opposite to the landfill - either allowing the player to manually dig a new reservoir hole or by designating areas and allowing robots to do it.

Then once that was complete, either running pipes & pumps from existing water sources to fill them, or by using some kind of mass fluid transfer system for longer distances.
Possibly this could be accomplished in a similar manner to transferring oil by putting it into barrels (which I always thought was a little bit inefficient), or by creating a new train tank car like one of these:

..and some kind of pipe connector that would link up at stations. This would also be quite useful for other types of liquid transfers over long distances.

I'm really not a fan of the 'load small amounts of oil into individual barrels' method which is currently in game (and still confused why this is only available for oil and not for any of the refined by-products), so something like this could open up a lot more possibilities with regards to base placement and layout, especially for large, spread out bases.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Water Reservoir / Fluid Transfer System

Post by ssilk »

Well, I found both methods (barrels and wagons) quite useful. It depends on many factors.

I added it to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=17734 New types of vehicles (train, tank, car, plane, ship...)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Cheeseycom
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Water Reservoir / Fluid Transfer System

Post by Cheeseycom »

ssilk wrote:Well, I found both methods (barrels and wagons) quite useful. It depends on many factors.

I added it to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=17734 New types of vehicles (train, tank, car, plane, ship...)
The barrel system is definitely workable and even useful in cases, it just seems to me to be a little clunky for moving large quantities of fluids around. And as I mentioned, I also find it a bit bizarre that it currently only applies to oil and nothing else.

When you have to construct thousands of barrels, load them with oil (or potentially another liquid) and then load those filled barrels onto a train, only to perform the whole process in reverse at the other end (and ship the empty barrels back), it strikes me that a tanker car would simplify the whole process immensely.

Anyway.. as much as I'd like to see a tank car implemented, I'm much more interested in the first part of my idea - of creating reservoirs.

I know people would probably just suggest I switch to solar power if using steam engines is too tricky in an area, but I much prefer steam power for its consistency.. something like this would potentially make steam power much more portable (so maybe being able to load water into barrels would be an idea after all, since you could carry the water with you to create the reservoir for the engines).
It's not terribly realistic being able to carry around thousands of liters with you, but then Factorio was never all that grounded in reality to begin with.. :lol:

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”