Make it more intuitive to disconnect wires/cables ...

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Ralfinator
Inserter
Inserter

Make it more intuitive to disconnect wires/cables ...

Post by Ralfinator »

See next two posts: This is implemented, but the functionality is not obvious enough, so this suggestion subject has been changed now -- ßilk

Currently, it does not seem to be possible to disconnect an item from the circuit network, other than deconstructing either the item itself or the pole it is connected to. That is rather frustrating, and in both cases, some amount of re-building has to happen (re-connecting everything else if the pole is gone; otherwise re-building the building and setting up everything else again, like logistic conditions etc). There should be some way to disconnect an item from the circuit network without further side-effects.

I suggest to either use "shift-click" (i.e., same shortcut as for disconnecting the normal electricity wires from poles -- but this conflicts with pasting from the 'clipboard') or a button in the circuit network window.

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Allow disconnecting things from the circuit network

Post by Neotix »

You can disconnect. If you try to connect already connected entities, the will disconnect.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

That's equal for the wires and cables.
Moved to implemented... :) What this feature lacks is to make it more intuitive...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Ralfinator
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ralfinator »

oO okay, *that* is really not discoverable. Maybe change this suggestions to "Make it more intuitive to disconnect things ..."? Otherwise, it'll get out of sight and lost. Or would that be a valid bug report?

I hope it doesn't use up a wire but instead return it back to my inventory ;-)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Make it more intuitive to disconnect things ...

Post by ssilk »

Changed title. Moved back to Suggestions.

Hm. The whole producing and using of wires is in my eyes sub-optimal, cause it has only low game-value and causes unusable stops/pauses in the flow of the game (if you have no wires left). In my opinion we should not need to produce wires/cables; they should be "zipped" out of the poles without cost and "zip back into the pole" if not used.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

BlackKnight
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Make it more intuitive to disconnect things ...

Post by BlackKnight »

Was just to post a new thread on this before I found this one...

I was aware of the ability to disconnect circuit wire for some time, its still a pain though if you have a lot of items/wire connected. Just like mentioned, there needs to be a shortcut to remove all wires (IMO) from the item selected, similar to electrical poles. Currently you have to either individually remove each wire or mine,re-place the item (and reset any settings lost), both of which are time consuming.

Also, whats the verdict on being required to re-create any wires disconnected? Realistically, if its cut to size, it would have to be replaced with new wire of the correct length - thus wire = non-reusable..? but should that remain?

Good point ssilk re-last comment on wires - (esp if none in inventory), it would be convenient if you could just click the wire its self (they already highlight), and disconnect it/reconnect it. Still, I would like a disconnect all wires hotkey.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”