[0.13] Connection method of red/green wires

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.13] Connection method of red/green wires

Post by Neotix »

In v.0.13 method of connecting circuit wires changed. Before we connected entities one to another in chain (A-B, B-C, C-D) without dropping wires. Now we connect one selected entity witch others (A-B, A-C, A-D) and if we want to connect in chain we have to connect A-B, press Q, connect B-C, press Q, connect C-D.

Actual method for me it's impractical because in 90% cases I connect entities in chains because it's more elegant and clear. It's looks like messy connections in previous version (maybe it was 0.9) when we could connect entities only to poles.

So I suggest to bring back connection method and make it optional/swappable.

XKnight
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.13] Connection method of red/green wires

Post by XKnight »

Totally agree, new behaviour is terribly inconvenient and produces over complicated highly entangled builds.

I even began to write my own suggestion, but then I found this one. I will post my videos here to clarify the differences:
0.13 Awful wiring
0.12 Elegant and beautiful wiring
Last edited by XKnight on Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

XKnight wrote:Totally agree, new behaviour is terribly inconvenient and produces over complicated highly entangled builds.
true enough...

XKnight
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by XKnight »

Also, am I the only one who is disturbed with the new combinator graphics?
What do you think about this? (I copy-pasted "∗" symbol from 0.12 and pasted into 0.13)

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

XKnight wrote:Also, am I the only one who is disturbed with the new combinator graphics?
What do you think about this? (I copy-pasted "∗" symbol from 0.12 and pasted into 0.13)
Your not alone...

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

I +1 the suggestion of bringing chaining back, but the new behaviour is also useful sometimes, so it should be active when a modifier is held down (like ctrl or alt).

In most cases, chaining is more convenient, especially when you need to connect long rows of chests and inserters. It also mirrors the behaviour when connecting poles (interestingly this has not changed in 0.13), and after all we all got used to it.

The new combinator graphics (symbols on top) disturbed me for a short while, but I got used to them quickly. They're not better or worse than the old ones, but they fit the graphical theme of the game a bit better.
Is your railroad worrying you? Doctor T-Junction recommends: Smart, dynamic train deliveries with combinator Magick

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

XKnight wrote:Totally agree, new behaviour is terribly inconvenient and produces over complicated highly entangled builds.

I even began to write my own suggestion, but then I found this one. I will post my videos here to clarify the differences:
0.13 Awful wiring
0.12 Elegant and beautiful wiring
the picts are missing - anyhow I have filed a bug report.

Roberth
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Roberth »

Yes bring the old circuits back, it was much more convenient to handle large networks of cable

also:
I +1 the suggestion of bringing chaining back, but the new behaviour is also useful sometimes, so it should be active when a modifier is held down (like ctrl or alt).
yes but if you want to have the new setup (that is easy understand) you could just do so by connecting the wires one by one manually i.e. connect one wire and press q and then repeat. It could probably be easier ways to program this but it was still possible in 0.12

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

It's a lot more common that you want to run chains of wire than fan-out configurations. However, sometimes it's very convenient to be able to create fan-outs (the current default behaviour in 0.13). So I'd like to have both, but the default should be the 0.12 chaining, and the fan-out should be triggered with a modifier key.

That would give us the best of both worlds.
Is your railroad worrying you? Doctor T-Junction recommends: Smart, dynamic train deliveries with combinator Magick

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

siggboy wrote:So I'd like to have both, but the default should be the 0.12 chaining, and the fan-out should be triggered with a modifier key.
Exactly how it should be in the first place.

mattj256
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mattj256 »

siggboy wrote:So I'd like to have both, but the default should be the 0.12 chaining, and the fan-out should be triggered with a modifier key.
+1

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”