Copy/Paste indicators

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

The Eriksonn
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Copy/Paste indicators

Post by The Eriksonn »

It would be nice if the indicator showed all the objects that you have pasted instead of only the one that you are copying from.

I think it could be useful if you are copypasting a lot of chests and not knowing if you missed any.

Now:
2016-06-30.png
2016-06-30.png (1.43 MiB) Viewed 2116 times
Suggestion:
2016-06-30 - kopia.png
2016-06-30 - kopia.png (1.39 MiB) Viewed 2116 times

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Copy/Paste indicators

Post by ssilk »

I remember another suggestion similar to this (but I didn't find it). It suggested a better feedback.
Such a feedback could be this suggestion, or a click-sound or something else.

This will eventually make things worse: The player might think, that if he has copied from it, it must be equal. But any of the marked chest could then be changed.

My suggestion to this is: I don't want to click 5 times. I want to click to the source (copy it) and then mark the target chests and apply the copy to all the targets at once.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

ssilk wrote:I remember another suggestion similar to this (but I didn't find it). It suggested a better feedback.
Such a feedback could be this suggestion, or a click-sound or something else.

This will eventually make things worse: The player might think, that if he has copied from it, it must be equal. But any of the marked chest could then be changed.

My suggestion to this is: I don't want to click 5 times. I want to click to the source (copy it) and then mark the target chests and apply the copy to all the targets at once.
Once a pasted-to chest is changed it should then not be marked any more

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Would be the right behavior. But that has a high risk of a performance issue, cause nothing hinders you to copy something to - let's say - 1000 entities and then the game needs to check that 1000 entities every time you change one of them. You need also more memory, cause you need a list of all entities, that are copied from that.

I think it could work like so:
- when a copy of an entity-configuration into the buffer-memory, I want an indicator, that there is now a new entitiy config loaded (I want to see it for example right in the entity info).
- Then I can make a copy. The copies are marked as described (only those around the player needs to be marked).
- I can change a copied entity. It will be unmarked then.
- This marking works as long, as the entity is in the buffer. When a new entity comes the marking is removed and circle repeats.
- When I pick up again this entity the game can look up in the surounding of the player for identical entities and mark them.

In other words: The logic is quite simple. The game looks around for similar entities with the same config as in the copy-buffer and marks them.

[Which leads us automatically to an idea: There should be some kind of storage for the buffered entity configuration (let's say 10 slots). And I can pick up that instead of copying it from an entity.]
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by IronCartographer »

Just make the box indicating that you've pasted visible until you let go of Shift, or copy something else. You'll get the benefit of showing multiple successful pastes, without much performance impact.

The Eriksonn
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by The Eriksonn »

IronCartographer wrote:Just make the box indicating that you've pasted visible until you let go of Shift, or copy something else. You'll get the benefit of showing multiple successful pastes, without much performance impact.
Like how the current box works except it adds green to everything that you have clicked on. Should be very simple programming wise

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by IronCartographer »

It might be somewhat complicated by non-modifier-key bindings unfortunately. :/

Sadly, I don't think my simple suggestion will work because of this uncertainty.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”