Can't line up train stops with each other

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Tnarg
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Can't line up train stops with each other

Post by Tnarg »

The gap between train cars is 7 tiles long. But train stops can only be placed every other tile. This means that you can't place a stop one train cart distance from each other.

If you have a station for a engine train and you want to change it for a 2 engine train you cant move the stop by 7 tiles (you can only move it 6 or 8. which means you have to rebuild your unload system. It's even worst if you want to make an unloading bay that can handle trains of different sizes. I want to place 2 stops down one for single engine trains and one for 2 engine trains and have the wagons stop in the same place but you can't.
Last edited by Tnarg on Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Can't line up Stations with each other

Post by kovarex »

Well, I have to mark this as not a bug.

Tnarg
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tnarg »

Can I repost this under "Ideas and Suggestions"?

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Tnarg wrote:Can I repost this under "Ideas and Suggestions"?
Moved.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Can't line up train stops with each other

Post by ssilk »

Well, if you suggest a change you should also suggest how. :)

Because I have really no idea, how that can be changed - it's pure mathematics: 7 (length of a train) divided by 2 (length of one track) is 3, rest 1. But there is hope: 2 trains is even again. ;)

Perhaps we could define an offset for the stop point of a train stop - but I mean that would look a bit ugly. The problem here is, that tracks are always length of 2 tiles and you cannot just change that (to place a train stop between two segments), because I believe that the train system would need a deep change.

It also adds not very much to the game. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Tnarg
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tnarg »

I suggest that train Stops should be able to be placed any where next to a track. I understand that tracks are 2x2 and snap to a 2x2 grid and that's fine but a train stop should be like most buildings that are 2x2 can be placed any where.

Edit: Signals do not need to be a lined to a 2x2 grid. So it should not be too hard to make stops no a lined?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Actually, although I can understand why tracks snap to a 2x2 grid, which is basically down to how curves will move you multiples of 2, and no less, so if you build 2 seperate train networks, you'll never have a problem linking them......
I do wish even track wasn't snapped to a 2x2 grid. I mean, you build your base long before you get railways, if you do any planning at all (railways go here), then you gave a 50% chance that it lines up with your plan when you actually get rails.

But I agree, carriage length of 7 does seem damn odd when the railway is 2x2. Actually, I think Locomotives should be size 8, and carriages 7, my existing horizontal stations ALMOST line up with the new trains.... except they're about 1 tile further back. A train size 8 would fix both of these problems.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Tnarg
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tnarg »

I think you have to keep engines and wagons the same size for the UI when it shows the trian stop location and size 6 with 1 gap work well. What I would like is for trian stops to be placeable like signals they can be placed anywhere why not trian stops.

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

I see 3 solutions (in my opinion):
- BAD - Setup for the station offset (train stop on first or on second tile of the station)
- HARD - Change Locomotive length that can be divided by 2 (6 or 8 tiles).
- BEST - Allow to place stations every 1 tile.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Added this to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=19953 New types of rails (curves, s-curves ...)

Anson
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Anson »

bobingabout wrote:carriage length of 7 does seem damn odd when the railway is 2x2.
Actually, I think Locomotives should be size 8, and carriages 7
it's always difficult to build something for all possible variations, and usually everything (stations, signal distances, doubled track for oncoming traffic on single rail lines, refueling, having (or having not) turning loops, etc etc etc) are best done for a single type of trains (within the same train network). using "standard trains" for the whole network (eg all are the same LL-CCC, or all are L-CC-L) is the easiest way to do it, and sometimes I create an additional challenge(!) to merge something different into this system (like L-C or LL-CCCC).

in no case, this should be made even more complicated by having different lengths for engines and wagons !
I'm glad that we finally don't have different lengths any longer for horizontal and vertical wagons.
with different lengths for engines and wagons, the positions would shift by 1 for each additional engine you place in front of the train, and also indicating the positions of engines and wagons with the new markings would no longer be possible.

maybe it would have been nice to have a power of two as length for everything, but that would have had to be done right from the beginning. and then everybody would complain how to set up power poles (which have to have an uneven size, currently 7 only, just right for pole-6chests-pole) or substations (with a coverage of 2*7=14 for two wagons) at an unloading station, thus change them too?

my biggest problem with the uneven length is that i either have to do two blueprints (or a doublesize blueprint for two wagons) with rails, or i have to do the blueprints with empty space instead of rails and can't simply "snap" them into correct places (but shouldn't there be a new option to just remove items from blueprints? that would solve this problem. i have to look that up)
Tnarg wrote:What I would like is for trian stops to be placeable like signals they can be placed anywhere why not trian stops.
that would be nice.
although train stops are bigger than signals (that's probably the reason why they snap to the 2x2 grid like rails) it shouldn't be too complicated to adjust their apparent location and/or their placement since they can be placed at horizontal or vertical track tiles only.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

It is obviously an issue, that depends deeply the rail-types. See link-collection in the above post.

In other words: If we would have rail-types, that are only 1x2, or 2x1, then it would be not problem (or not much). The same is with distance between rails: If we have curves, that end at odd tiles we could make quite different distances between rails.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”