A New Level of Play/Raise The Belts(and Pipes)!

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

frostman64
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

A New Level of Play/Raise The Belts(and Pipes)!

Post by frostman64 »

Well, I've been playing for quite some time now. I haven't built anything note worthy but I've noticed talks of 3D graphics updates or HR graphics updates which recently I took a good minute to read over. It's certainly neat to see Factorio taking steps forward toward it's modern image. Speaking of 3D why don't we add a new level of play to the game. I saw a mention of cat walks and bridges for players for the use of protection from being run over by trains, a simple but effective idea for solving an existing issue on Factorio while adding a 3rd dimension to an otherwise practically 2D world, which don't get me wrong, it's great but there is clearly a 3D aspect here. Certainly things can appear to have height but whats the point if there is no way to, say, walk over them and view your factory system up close from above. I support the idea of catwalks due to the main idea that it's very factory-esque and adds some depth but why not take it a step further.

I find it annoying that I cant run two underground belts in the same direction or opposite directions along the same patch of ground. It grinds my gears, literally. The solution, a sloped transport belt followed by some raised transport belts/ catwalked transport belts. The idea would naturally apply to pipes as well but for the case of pipes, they can simply be run vertically then onto a raised catwalk. You could add a whole new level to a factory and walking under the catwalks could phase out the over hanging structure to allow direct vision of any happenings under the catwalked areas. The height of the cat walk and sloped/vertical items could be predetermined to help reduce development time, rather than letting things go out of control vertically. It's a big idea, very likely to be put down simply due to the amount of work it would entail, but for a guy who works in petrochemical plants and factories all the time it would be neat to see. This sort of addition would require a major overhaul patch to add the suggested placement ability and items to the game but it would truely be noteworthy, a true factory sim with some survival aspects.

More suggestions on the way from frostman64.
Thanks for taking a minute to read!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: A New Level of Play/Raise The Belts(and Pipes)!

Post by ssilk »

I added this to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=21378 Footbridges (over pipes, rails, water...), Catwalks, Tunnels

You may have also a lock at viewtopic.php?f=80&t=12771 Terrain elevation, hills and mountains with fake cliffs

Because that is one reason, why it is quite difficult to implement this: It is difficult to see, what is under that then. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Harkonnen604
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Harkonnen604 »

frostman64 wrote:I find it annoying that I cant run two underground belts in the same direction or opposite directions along the same patch of ground
You can put 3 underground belts covering same tiles if they have different colors.

frostman64
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by frostman64 »

Thanks for the responses. I checked the cat walk post and simply wanted to separate the idea. Probably could have just posted a reply under there though. The heat screws with my mind too so i may have missed some posts. I also didn't spend a long time looking through posts.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”