Keep Inventory Option

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

hiaiden2
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Keep Inventory Option

Post by hiaiden2 »

PLEASE make a world loading option that has like a "KeepInventory" Button so that when you die to any cause you will keep your items? Thanks!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Keep Inventory Option

Post by bobingabout »

I presume you're talking multiplayer.
when you die in single player, it's game over, and you have to reload the game, so in a sense you do keep your inventory.

The difficulty with multiplayer death is that your inventory contents are stored in the player entity (the body you control), when it dies, the object is destroyed, and therefore deleted, so the information of your inventory is deleted along with it, the game has no way to know what your inventory used to be on your old body when it creates you a new one.

To change this would probably require a fair bit of interesting programming.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

bloc97
Inserter
Inserter

Post by bloc97 »

Well my mod makes use of a crude way of storing the inventory upon death... And it might bug if you have a lot of people connecting and disconnecting in your server. I just chose to save your inventory each 5 seconds for simplicity, and compatibility with other inventory altering mods.

There's also a couple other mods made by other people that also saves your inventory. They might be event based or something else. Searching on google shows a couple of them on github, just look it up.
Image-Vehicles, Defense, Energy & More!
Image-Keep inventory on death!

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

To change this would probably require a fair bit of interesting programming.
Well instead of deleting the character, you just move them back to 0,0 with full health.

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zaflis »

This is still a well desired feature for Factorio. It's a standard in many other games that have player inventory, including Satisfactory, Minecraft and Terraria from the similar games. Retrieving corpse and dealing with the logistics is quite a hassle.

It is also strange that the body entirely disappears after 15 minutes. It is a container like chest; iron plates don't normally just disappear from a stored place.

And as far as i know there is no mod available to give this feature reliably.

Also unlike first comments in the thread from years ago, you can respawn in singleplayer in current Factorio so it's not just multiplayer concern.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”