Gradual onset of Exoskeletal Speed Boost

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Gradual onset of Exoskeletal Speed Boost

Post by Peter34 »

It's often difficult to move around when you have multiple +30% Speed Exoskeltons fitted to your Power/Modular Armor.

One workaround is a keypress to toggle Exoskeleton Bonus on/off.

Another is more complex to implement but might ultimately be more fun. When you start moving, for the first 0.5 second (30 ticks) all of your Exoskeletons are idle, they give no bonus. After that one of them kicks in and you get its bonus. After another 0.5 seconds another Exoskeleton kicks in giving its bonus too, and so forth, until all are active.

When you stop moving they could either all power down immediately, or there could be something like 0.1 or 0.25 or 0.75 or whatever second intervals after which one of them powers down. That could be cool. Also the powering up when an Exoskeleton (or an additional Exoskeleton) kicks in could be accompanied by a cool and awesome sound effect. And the gradual powering down, if implemented.

Some mods, including one of my favourites, Modular Armor Revamped, adds different tier Exoskeletons, for instance Revamp adds a smaller size version that gives +5% speed and is meant as lower tier. The best way for the game to cope with something that, I think, is to sort the Exoskeletal Modules in order of bonus, and activate the ones with the smallest bonuses first.

tobsimon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Gradual onset of Exoskeletal Speed Boost

Post by tobsimon »

Oh, I like this suggestion. :D

Not only whould that be really helpfull when walking minimal distances. When using multiple exoskeletons, correcting the position to i.e. step of the belt, wouldn't anymore result in a 2 tile leap to the next equally unfavorable position. Also the escapes from biters would get more exciting, when they close in at first until you hear the relieving sound of the exoskeletons kicking in one after another and you finally gain some headway.

Delayed shutdown feels right and is good to not punish slipping of a key to severly.

I'd like to add delayed motion, such that a direction change is not instantanious, but results in a smoth curve and stopping results in overshooting the target (in a little dust cloud). Running around should basically feel like beeing The Flash.

BTW, these absolute movement controls should be implented for car/tank and train also (as option), just because their relative controls are hugely confusing.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

The instantaneous full speed is pretty annoying to work with, especially when modded exosuits reach into ludicrous speed territory. An acceleration curve would be pretty nice, though I wonder if such crazy suit speed should be the norm in the first place.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I've made a new collection:
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=26720 Slow Walking/Running with Powerarmor Exoskeleton
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Slayn25
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Slayn25 »

I like it.

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

Would be a nice quality of life alteration, so gets my vote.

Is the 0.5s delay enough time for the go slow feature. When I think of a change like this - I'm thinking about nudging my player between belts to find that spot where I can stand still. And I'm wondering how much of a change 0.5s would make, it would need to be longer wouldn't it?
tobsimon wrote:
Also the escapes from biters would get more exciting, when they close in at first until you hear the relieving sound of the exoskeletons kicking in one after another and you finally gain some headway.
I'm in the other camp on this one! I'd much rather there be no delay at all, rather than a gradual speed up, to me such a system would be a nerf to how the player moves (especially around biters).

A key toggle to turn the exoskeleton off briefly (or decrease movement speed still further) Would give the simplest solution and would allow you to choose exactly when to slow down. For me, it's the method I'd feel most comfortable with.
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

Harkonnen604
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Harkonnen604 »

+1 to Ghoulish proposal. Also, if you adopt ghost-building (shift-clicking only) and deconstruction planner for everything, movement speed becomes less of an issue because you don't have to approach tight spots anymore.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”