Enemy buildings should spread creep to avoid placing turrets

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Harkonnen604
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Enemy buildings should spread creep to avoid placing turrets

Post by Harkonnen604 »

Fighting with turrets is the easiest way to go, but it's quite illogical and renders all other military stuff useless. I believe this is known issue and was discussed a lot. Cooldowns for turret placement/deconstruction are not an option either - it will just slow down the approach. Proposal is that enemy buildings spread some sort of creep like zergs in starcraft in quite large area, so that no building (including walls and turrets) can be placed within this range, and no turret will be able to reach buildings from that range. As for sandbox mode where turrets are your only option I think it would be ok to allow destroying enemy buildings just by right-clicking them :)

TheDagmaar
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Enemy buildings should spread creep to avoid placing turrets

Post by TheDagmaar »

It could be a thing. +1
TheDagmaar Mining Corp.

Harkonnen604
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Harkonnen604 »

Just found mentioning it in another thread. Strange why it's not done yet because technically it's cheap stuff, but affects gameplay a lot.

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

Another solution would be if turrets take several seconds to deploy. That wouldn't strictly eliminate turret walk, but would make it significantly more tedious as biters and spitters very aggressively seek out deployed turrets, and would be able to do some damage before the turrets can fire back.

Although I do not altogether agree that turret walking is so much better than the alternatives. It is cheap, yes, especially as it doesn't need any upgrades. The only thing as cheap as turret walk is using the Tank to bulldoze. But if you get the right upgrades the other military options can be extremely powerful - Defender Capsules with full upgraded bullets are unholy good until lots of big biters are spawning. Destroyers are rather good too. Poison Capsules are almost certainly OP. A capsule offense backed by the Tank w/ personal roboport or a good power armor setup will sweep through nests very quickly, really much more quickly than turrets unless you're doing turrets on a crazy scale (like when on deathworlds I've used like a 5 roboport setup, and deployed hundreds of turrets at once to gouge out nests - although the "turrets are cheap" argument is not applicable when you're using an inventory packed with construction robots, laser turrets and repair packs).

British_Petroleum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by British_Petroleum »

Combat robots work well against alien bases too, especially the stationary ones with lasers.

I'd be sad if I couldn't build laser turrets near alien bases. It is really fun, and one of the few ways you can automate the removal of alien bases.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

The devs know this and this has been discussed a lot. I'm not sure, which technical solution they will bring, but it seems to be not so easy to just not disallow turret creep, cause sometimes, that is you only choice. Which means we need perhaps a replacement weapon, before the turret creep can be disallowed. That replacement is the problem, cause what other weapon could replace that for the same costs? (inclusive research!)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

but it seems to be not so easy to just not disallow turret creep, cause sometimes, that is you only choice.
I don't think that's true. Even if the creep range is a bit larger than the turret range, everything in between is still laser turret territory. Drag critters into turret range to thin the horde, and sweep in to do whatever. There absolutely 100% is no need to drop turrets inside a nest's range to make progress, even against the most monster hives.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

ssilk wrote:The devs know this and this has been discussed a lot. I'm not sure, which technical solution they will bring, but it seems to be not so easy to just not disallow turret creep, cause sometimes, that is you only choice. Which means we need perhaps a replacement weapon, before the turret creep can be disallowed. That replacement is the problem, cause what other weapon could replace that for the same costs? (inclusive research!)
I thought the devs had basically already decided, rather long ago, that they'd implement a Starcraft-style "Creep Carpet" around Nests, to thwart Turret Creep. But it hasn't been mentioned in recent Friday Facts at all, which puzzles me.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”