Tube flow signs

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Harkonnen604
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Tube flow signs

Post by Harkonnen604 »

When mouse-hovering over a tube, it would be good to see a direction of flow. with digits how much per second. This can be calculated as a gradient of pressure over last 10-60 seconds towards adjacent tubes. Proposed visualization is yellow/blue outline with arrows and digits at adjacent tubes (adjacent tiles in case adjacent tube is underground tube far away). Inward arrow for inflow, outward arrow for outflow. For saturated tubes with 10.0 liquid it would also be good to see these arrows/numbers in grey instead of yellow/blue - indicating that there is no real flow at the moment, but the last time some flow was present - it was heading that way. That solves three problems at once. 1st - you will see that no tubes were broken during automatic forest deconstruction in a situation when there is too few oil to fill the tubes. 2nd - when you see the digits per sec for sulfuric acid or whatever else, you may plan ahead on how many chemical plants you need to consume it all. 3rd - when some pipe becomes an obstacle in a complicated factory, you get at least some clue on from where to where it heads :) source->target relations

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Tube flow signs

Post by ssilk »

Full/empty pipe doesn't indicate, that there is/is not a flow direction. So what you write here is a bit misleading.

And the devs also mentioned, that the whole liquid network will be rewritten.

I also don't want such information as hover, but as an own layer of information.
So I added it to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=18153 Information-Layers (for map and/or normal view)
where similar suggestion already in.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Harkonnen604
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Harkonnen604 »

Full/empty pipe doesn't indicate, that there is/is not a flow direction. So what you write here is a bit misleading.
I mean situations when the pipe is full for a long period of time (more than minute) on a saturated oil farm for example. or sulfuric acid tubes when blue cards production got saturated. or lubricant tubes when you got 200/200 bots and are no longer producing electric engines (and for some reason not making express belts).

I think this flow info is somewhat similar to inserters direction, thus hover highlight was suggested.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

You have the windows in the pipes, where you can clearly see that. You just have to make an extra pipe instead of underground pipe.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”