The light should be REAL problem

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Harkonnen604
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

The light should be REAL problem

Post by Harkonnen604 »

It looks like night lighting heavily depends on monitor. I see youtube videos where guys deliberately skip nights. I see people liking night vision in their armor (and bitching about how too-greenish it looks). But in case of my TFT I see no real purpose to put any lamps across my factory. That hurts. I think lighting during the night should be like in NOX by Westwood - you see no single crappy pixel outside of your flashlight, lamps and other valid light sources. It should be black as hell. RGB=000. Only then I would love lamps a lot and even put an assembly machine for them.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: The light should be REAL problem

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=22760 Support for Color Blinds / Better Visibility ...

--> There are similar topis, like
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21583 High colour contrast mode
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25185 Night Gamma/Brightness Setting for visually impaired people
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

searker
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by searker »

Well, the issue with "dark games" on Youtube is that videos seem to always get a tad darker when Youtube is processing them.
Therefore, Youtubers either skip dark passages or make them as bright as possible to please their viewers.

Personally, i could play without lamps and still see everything i need to see, but i use the "MoreLight" mod as a quality-of-life improvement.

I´d not like the game to be pitch-black at night. Why? Imho, Factorio should focus on the building- and expansion-aspect, not on the "survival-aspect" to which i would count light-management.
Dont get me wrong, i do like the nights and also see a purpose for lights or night-vision, but the game shouldnt force you to use those mechanics to be able to do anything at night.

Harkonnen604
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Harkonnen604 »

Well, I agree. For those its-not-about-survival reasons I started playing sandbox with peaceful mode.
What it's all about - is optics research (early 10 red), lamps production and lamps power consumption. They seem to be useless.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

There are some ideas to use light in night as defense to the enemies.
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=14640 New Weapons / New Defenses & Armor / Combat / Turrets

-> search for "light"
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

SyncViews
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SyncViews »

Visually, you cant really force the players, unless at the extreme of near pitch black where the game just doesn't render out enough contrast to see clearly, which is generally pretty unrealistic in most environments. e.g. star or moon light, distant urban lighting, or as a personal in-doors, just an LED "ON" light on say a router in the room provides enough light that there would be a decent level of contrast to "brighten". Environments such as caves and sealed rooms being truly dark environments. Although it is another planet, so guess could justify it.

Especially in multiplayer, for general dark areas a lot of people in my experience have screens that are brighter than they should be, either intentionally as an undetectable "cheat" (I know some people that did this in games such as tomb raider so as to not need flares, and most PvP games just seem to never have much darkness to avoid this cheat) or due to poor setup/hardware.

Moving past that its mostly up to the player if they want challenging darkness or not. A lot of games have an in-game gamma option to adjust to some extent, and will sometimes even present it to the player on first start.

TheDagmaar
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheDagmaar »

But I love the survival! I demand it! I want to get hungry, kill to eat, grow corps, drink water, die from disease! Not seeing shi- could be a thing. What if every 9th night is a total darkness, others are the same?
TheDagmaar Mining Corp.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

TheDagmaar wrote:But I love the survival! I demand it! I want to get hungry, kill to eat, grow corps, drink water, die from disease! Not seeing shi- could be a thing. What if every 9th night is a total darkness, others are the same?
Yes i would like this too.
But currently there are only mods for oxygen, what seems be there enough in the atmosphere.
What should i do with the fish :)

I will try Farmtorio but this also don't add the need to eat.

There is also the Survival Mod but this needs further developement.

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

malecord
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by malecord »

Imho this game without survival part is pointless. There is nothing interesting in having infinite time to build infinite factories with infinite resources from my point of view. It's like the mindless farming in Blizzard games.

So I like this idea that black should be black. If not RGB 0.0.0, at least like dungeon crawling games (Diablo and such). And also: nights should be as long as days. Then to help with the early game they could ass some items a la minecraft, torches and such. You use them until you get electricity, like you use wooden crates until you get iron chests.

It's not super priority though.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”