Random Planet Settings

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Shokubai
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Random Planet Settings

Post by Shokubai »

I like to think that things like length of day/night cycles would be an effect of what planet you've crashed on. This could effect your plans for power significantly.

This could be an additional drop down control "Length of day" with options like "Random, Daylight Only, Long Days, Normal, Short Days, Endless Night".

I would imagine this could be a simple implementation since not many things technologies care about day or night.

This does open the door for other planetary settings such as Biome type.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Random Planet Settings

Post by bobingabout »

I think the length and ratio of the day/night cycle has come up several times before.

I for one would like to see not only some slight randomness to the ratio, but also have it shift over time to periods of much longer nights than days to simulate seasons, changing from summer to winter, then obviously longer days again as the season shifts back to summer.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

LazyLoneLion
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by LazyLoneLion »

interesting ideas :)
I wonder, will water be colder in winter too?

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

bobingabout wrote:I think the length and ratio of the day/night cycle has come up several times before.

I for one would like to see not only some slight randomness to the ratio, but also have it shift over time to periods of much longer nights than days to simulate seasons, changing from summer to winter, then obviously longer days again as the season shifts back to summer.
Then they'll have to spend a lot of time making the terrain change seasons as well (think about trees and snow etc) or the whole thing makes no sense :D

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Not everywhere gets snow when it's winter. Here in the UK for example, you're (un)lucky if it snows at all.

People in places like America who get snow quite often were calling us wimps when the country basically shut down for a week when we got 2 foot of snow in December 2010.... That's a once in a generation experience, the loss of the country shutting down is far less than the cost of being prepared for something that has about a 2% chance of happening.

Though, the alien trees might change colour, or lose leaves due to having less light.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Added to
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=342&p=133677#p133677 Events (Environmental Disasters and Weather)
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=13022 World Generation / Map Generator / Game Modes / Scenarios
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”