[Suggestion] Uses for wood (if mass wood farming happens)

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Grinoire
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[Suggestion] Uses for wood (if mass wood farming happens)

Post by Grinoire »

Hello,

I've seen many topics and ideas about wood farm (from regrowth of forest to planting farm), but not many ideas about what to do with tremendous amount of wood. And without any industrial use of wood, I don't see the point of having industrial way to produce wood.

Therefore this topic aim at finding industrial uses for wood: there is some original (or I believe original) ideas, as well as ideas I found in this forum. The list isn't finished yet, I hope to get it growing with your ideas.

Disclaimer: English not my first language, and sorry if such post already exist (couldn't find it with the search tool).

- Combustible: obviously already implemented, however we could use it to make charcoal (by "burning it"). Charcoal made from wood is a much more efficient fuel compared to wood.

- Defensive wall: it could be a cheap and easy way to build walls (to make wood great again ?). Could be made without furnace and just a factory.

-Rail: YES, why do we use brick to make rail ? Wood + steel makes much more sense to me ....

-Boat ? if water use become a thing ?

-Food ? you can get some fish, so why not make food more of a thing and get it from trees: seeds or fruits..

-Floor: cheap way to improve the walking speed, doesn't need furnace and can be available faster in the game ?

-Biomass: way to product electricity / gas

- ?!?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [Suggestion] Uses for wood (if mass wood farming happens)

Post by ssilk »

The problem which must be solved first: If the game requires wood, we need an automateable source of wood.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

ProphetofEden
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ProphetofEden »

ssilk wrote:The problem which must be solved first: If the game requires wood, we need an automateable source of wood.
well thats the thing non of these suggestions are requirements, even though in the base game wood is a requirement for your basic electric poles, which i think is bad, you are right about the automatable part though

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

There are counts, how many wood is really needed for playing vanilla, I mean the number of wood was under 50. Maybe less. That is not worth automating and works even in worlds with nearly no wood.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Grinoire
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Grinoire »

Well, as i said, many post are about automating wood production: active ones (wood farm as a 4x4 or even 5x5 building), or more passive ones (forest regrowth / forest gestion).

Now as i read in the "Read this OR be ignored!" post, best is to have 1 suggestion per post.

Wood automation without industrial use for wood is pointless.
Industrial use for wood without automation farming is pointless

And there is many thread about how mass producing wood but none about wood uses (or at least for what i found).

Hence this post.

Grinoire
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Grinoire »

ssilk wrote:There are counts, how many wood is really needed for playing vanilla, I mean the number of wood was under 50. Maybe less. That is not worth automating and works even in worlds with nearly no wood.

This is the very reason of this post, to find uses for wood worth automating wood production =) So far the only real thing i found is rail, but i'm looking for some paper/fibers related uses.

For instance:

Paper armor
Ropes/belts (or straps) (could come into factories recipe, obviously belt recipes, engine recipe, cars, tanks, trains, or even the inserter, basically anything that require rotating part. It would increase the number or required items and therefore increase difficulties.

For raw wood
'Fire' as a cheap way to get light during night

TheDagmaar
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheDagmaar »

ssilk wrote:There are counts, how many wood is really needed for playing vanilla, I mean the number of wood was under 50. Maybe less. That is not worth automating and works even in worlds with nearly no wood.
IMO the problem is: You start in the middle of a freaking forest. Sadly it wont cut itself out, so need to work on it. If you work on it you need time, what is the real problem. I make a suggestion here: early game wood chopping automation. Anything what helps you at early game ent genocide.

And what about using that wood?
Combustible? No.
Defensive wall? Definitely no.
Rail? Stone is better.
Boat? YES! .....In a water patch. Maybe in 0.2x
Floor? Nooo....
Biomass will be in the game, I bet. It can be a mass usage of wood, but not in the early game. In the early game you can burn it, and that's all.... or not =)

Maybe someday I will post a complex thread about the future of Factorio, but not today.
TheDagmaar Mining Corp.

DedlySpyder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DedlySpyder »

TheDagmaar wrote:
IMO the problem is: You start in the middle of a freaking forest. Sadly it wont cut itself out, so need to work on it. If you work on it you need time, what is the real problem. I make a suggestion here: early game wood chopping automation. Anything what helps you at early game ent genocide.

Combustible? No.
Rail? Stone is better.
Floor? Nooo....
Biomass will be in the game, I bet. It can be a mass usage of wood, but not in the early game. In the early game you can burn it, and that's all.... or not =)

Maybe someday I will post a complex thread about the future of Factorio, but not today.
We don't need to chop it down. We need to burn it down

xuhao
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by xuhao »

Ill ad some ideas on use of wood and forrests.

1. I think forrest (green trees) should help remove/slow down polution. (by a small margin, but enough to make big forrests have a noticeable effect )

2. What should wood be used for as a material:

1. Early/cheap defensive structures like fences??.. well, not sure it will be used much.
2. Railroad? could be, though stone/concrete seems justs as valid. Perhaps the player could choose between using wood, stone OR concrete when making rails??
3. Industrial use??? though it might be realistic, it seems completely unneeded to make wood a core ingredience in many recipies.
But wood is a reasonably strong, flexible and cheap material. Personally I find it very nice that wood can both burn and build, and I think it could be made into a flexible material in the early game.
For example: What if you could exchange 1 iron for 1 wood on the cheap conveyer belt? - total price for one belt would then be either 3 iron or 2 iron+1 wood.
Realisticly wood would work just as well as cheap iron in many cases, which i think is something you could consider.

3. If water gets included I dont think wood should be needed for Boats - Plasic fiber boats/steel warships seems to me to be just as easy to manufacture on automated factories, and much easier to run/maintain.
But i do think that wood should be a must for piers and harbors. (along with stone and concrete)

4.What other ressources can we get from trees?

1. Biomass (as mentioned elsewhere) Fuel, basicly. could polute less.
2. Rubber - new material - not sure if such is needed, but its a posibility
3. Oxygen - same - could be used as fuel
4. Could be used in "diminish polution" constructions.

Dont forget to feed the plants! (Water!!)

TheDagmaar
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheDagmaar »

DedlySpyder wrote:
TheDagmaar wrote:

Combustible? No.
Rail? Stone is better.
Floor? Nooo....

We don't need to chop it down. We need to burn it down
Well... maybe It wasn't big enough. So... I made it bigger in this post.
But you gave me an idea.... an early game firestarter item... not for combat but starting fire. Thx
TheDagmaar Mining Corp.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”