Autosaving while in combat is DUMB

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Autosaving while in combat is DUMB

Post by ssilk »

Idea: If the autosave-configuration would be configurable via LUA, it would be really not so difficult to write a mod, that turns autosave off, while you are in the middle of a combat. (and vice versa)
Muchaszewski wrote:Operation that save stuff to disk is locking ALL threads. So for every chunk of bytes you write you have to wait unlill that finishes. So using multiple thread is no go.
Sorry, but wIth the post I linked above it is. :)

Here again:
ssilk wrote:I think the only way to improve save speed is implementing this: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25640#p161886
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

Rseding91 wrote:And then your memory use is 50 GB instead of 6GB. That doesn't work due to the dynamic nature of Factorio. The only place we have a custom allocator is sprite drawing.
seriously?

With proper implementation of chunked object pools you would have only a constant extra memory allocated per pool of entities (the last not full chunk plus however many empty chunks you keep to avoid constant frees and allocs). The tricky part is defragmenting the pools but some kind of relocation protocol will help with that.

Even with that overhead you would at most double your memory during save plus the pointer maps.

thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by thereaverofdarkness »

The game does autosave too often. If I really wanted to save that much, I'd use a quicksave feature. I think autosaves should happen once every 5-10 minutes.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

thereaverofdarkness wrote:The game does autosave too often. If I really wanted to save that much, I'd use a quicksave feature. I think autosaves should happen once every 5-10 minutes.
You can already set the autosave interval in Options --> Other (between 1 and 100 minutes or never).
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by thereaverofdarkness »

daniel34 wrote:You can already set the autosave interval in Options --> Other (between 1 and 100 minutes or never).
Oh, thanks! I didn't know that!

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

Is it possible to change autosaving such that when autosaving time limit is exceeded game waits until player have not moved or pressed buttons for example in 3 seconds? It would prevent most annoying situation in which autosave happens at worst possible moment.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”