Lane Swapping and Difficulty Settings.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Rum0r
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Lane Swapping and Difficulty Settings.

Post by Rum0r »

My first proposal is one that i would love to see in the game. I have made a mock up image for an example.
I find myself making convener belt systems that supply both coal and iron on the same belt, though, i repeatedly find that when it gets backed up, production can be halted at some point.
I propose, lane swapping technology!
The first lane swapper just switches the lanes of an object, there may not be much other use for this other than organization or just plain looks, but I would find it useful in some situations, like when you have iron being placed onto a conveyor by an inserter, but coal is already in that lane. There may be more uses to it that i can't think of currently. The more useful counterpart, and the reason i made this mock-image is the smart inserter. It would allow you to choose which item goes into which lane, it would be useful for helping things not get backed up and halting production because the iron ore is blocking the coal from getting to the furnaces, it also makes things tidy.
My second proposal is to add some difficulty options in the world gen menu.
Some examples are as follows:
[ }Hardcore (dying deletes save)
[ ]On death you drop inventory for later pickup
[ ]On the destruction of chests, furnaces, etc. Both the structure and the items within it are dropped as items for later pickup
There is already an option for no aggro, i think we should have more difficulty ratings, to provide either more challenge, or make it a bit easier!

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Lane Swapping and Difficulty Settings.

Post by daniel34 »

There are a few rules you should follow when posting in this subforum, see the stickied Read this OR be ignored!
Most important: Don't post several ideas in the same thread and use the search for existing threads before making a new one.

As for lane swapping: The Lane swapper ☸ [Forum-Ready Suggestions]

I've also added your post to Game Setup, Game Configuration, Init Screen [Frequently Suggested / Link Collections], which already contains a lot of these ideas.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Rum0r
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Rum0r »

daniel34 wrote:There are a few rules you should follow when posting in this subforum, see the stickied Read this OR be ignored!
Most important: Don't post several ideas in the same thread and use the search for existing threads before making a new one.

As for lane swapping: The Lane swapper ☸ [Forum-Ready Suggestions]

I've also added your post to Game Setup, Game Configuration, Init Screen [Frequently Suggested / Link Collections], which already contains a lot of these ideas.
Sorry, I'm a bit new to the forum, just found about it a couple days ago. Sorry bout that. :(

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

About idea.
You want one (or two) specialized item that will do one thing. This is against idea behind Factiorio. This game is about automation and building complex and specializes things using simple and universal elements. Both swappers can be already build. Of course they won't be compact like 1x1 entity but it will work.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I'll just give my opinion on the lane swappers. The idea behind Factorio is few items with many possibilities, instead of many items with few possible uses.
The cases where such items would be unavoidable can be counted on the fingers of an octopus' hand. You'd have to mix the items on a belt beforehand, knowing that later on you'll have to separate them. So just don't mix them first place. Plus, there are already ways to filter items with smart inserters, and with active providers and bots for the very rare cases where you cannot prevent having mixed items on a belt.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

For the belt swapping you might read also viewtopic.php?f=80&t=24061 New Types of Belts (NOT!)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”