Multiple victory conditions (a la CIvilization)

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Chumfactor
Inserter
Inserter

Multiple victory conditions (a la CIvilization)

Post by Chumfactor »

I've seen a couple of threads touch a little on this idea, but not this idea outright.

If you're familiar with the game Civilization (I'm thinking specifically of Civ:Revolutions), Factorio's victory condition is similar to a "Science" victory there, where one launches a rocket into space.

My suggestion is that the game should have multiple victory conditions. Again, riffing on Civ:Rev, we might have...

* Science: Like now (Possibly: require every known technology to be researched)
* Military: Some sort of "total annihilation" or "overwhelming force" against the aliens (yes, I know it's an infinite world; the details would have to be TBD, of course.)
* Diplomatic: Some sort of peaceful treaty is reached with the aliens. (I saw the thread about peaceful co-existence in DevProposals; this idea is to develop that into a victory condition)
* Financial: We don't really use money in Factorio; perhaps this would be a "completely pwn the resources" victory. I don't really know what it might look like.
* Cultural: build a factory so beautiful and marvelous that the aliens actually want to be part of it. "TBD" -- again, I have no idea what this might look like. :)

I'm sure there are a handful of other ideas, but the point is to add variety to replays, rather than always trying to reach the exactly-one victory condition and perfect one's technique there.

Related but separate (another idea stolen from Civ and other games): the "fully configurable game parameters" thing is cool, and should remain as "custom settings", but it'd be nice if there were 4-6 "default" levels, say...

* Noob/Kindergarden (resources everywhere, limited numbers of weak bug spawners, slow evolution, etc.)
* Easy
* Normal
* Hard
* Epic
* Impossible

Or similar. Again, the idea being to add variety to Factorio replays without requiring the player to remember what custom settings they used on the configuration page.

Loving the game! I'm a relative noob -- came in at 1.12 (.22?) -- so missed the earlier revs, but those are my ideas.

Thanks!
Last edited by Chumfactor on Tue May 10, 2016 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Multiple victory conditions (a la CIvilization)

Post by Adil »

Sometimes a thought about that Byond Earth addon to civ raises in my head in relation to factorio.
Amazing it would be if later research was altering the character and playstyle in a manner related to the affinities in BE. So that more biologically or cybernetically related mechanisms and equipments would become available.

And then on roleplaying side the player could take agressive\neutral\friendly stance towards natives, and towards the arriving humanity as well. Thus resulting in a wide selection of epilogues varying from becoming a genetically fluid apex predator culling the weak, to a perseverant pacifist who would have taught the species to coexist, to cybernetic warlord whom the future history books praise greatly but elude the description of what heroic deeds were committed.

Yes, that'd be a wonderful, though it's unlikely it'll get into any of the subsequent releases. Maybe somewhere in factorio 3? Let's hope.

Apart from dreams, having map settings presets would be a good addition to forthcoming releases.
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...
I also update mods, some of them even work.
Recently I did a mod tutorial.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

I don't really care about victory condition. I want ever expanding tech tree and challenge to play with.

Chumfactor
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Chumfactor »

"Ever expanding" (or "play forever") could be cool, though I'm not sure how it would be implemented. My suggestions were more aimed at improving replay-ability. I'm currently watching my wife play and it's fun to see the game anew through her eyes, and I'm playing my 2nd factory but, other than the differences in resource availability, the game-play is very similar in each. The whole peaceful/neutral/aggressive or military/science/diplomatic options are intended to give a wider variety of replay.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

The problem is here, that there are hundreds of ideas, but one good idea will eventually exclude another good idea due to their nature.

I found only one solution: Implement them all. :D

I added this to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=16592 Game Setup, Game Configuration, Init Screen
but I recommend also viewtopic.php?f=80&t=13022 World Generation / Map Generator / Game Modes / Scenarios
which explains the "implement them all idea" very well.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

samthebest
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by samthebest »

If they added a few aggressor robots that could be ordered to head towards waypoints / map markers that would be cool. Then they might be able to make the game multiplayer. I bet programming a multiplayer mode would be hard though. Also a complete multiplayer game would take a long time!

Victory condition might be domination, or race to finish rocket.

Chuck in a "Market" building that could be used to buy/sell would be interesting, especially with many many players on one map.

Other single player ideas could just be even more rocket launches, e.g. launch 10 rockets, 100 rockets, etc.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

samthebest wrote:If they added a few aggressor robots that could be ordered to head towards waypoints / map markers that would be cool. Then they might be able to make the game multiplayer. I bet programming a multiplayer mode would be hard though. Also a complete multiplayer game would take a long time!

Victory condition might be domination, or race to finish rocket.

Chuck in a "Market" building that could be used to buy/sell would be interesting, especially with many many players on one map.

Other single player ideas could just be even more rocket launches, e.g. launch 10 rockets, 100 rockets, etc.
The game is multiplayer.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

Chumfactor wrote: * Noob/Kindergarden (resources everywhere, limited numbers of weak bug spawners, slow evolution, etc.)
* Easy
* Normal
* Hard
* Epic
* Impossible
I really really really hate easy modes in games being called 'noob' or 'baby mode' or 'kindergarten' I mean seriously, do you know how demeaning it so to be like:

I just brought this game tried it on medium and it was more difficult than expected I know I'll downgrade to.... oh because I'm not used to this style of game I'm being compared to an infant, way to value me as a customer game

and I genuinely go through that more often than I'd like, here's something about accessibility in gaming everyone might want consider https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJoax1Z1x4Y

As to the original topic, a better solution is turn victory conditions off and add more achievements, there isn't really a win state for the game anymore since there's post rocket stuff to do so why set an end point or multiple end points to shorten the game?

or add one that's a reasonable end game state anyway make UPS drop below 20

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

JohnyDL wrote:I really really really hate easy modes in games being called 'noob' or 'baby mode' or 'kindergarten' I mean seriously, do you know how demeaning it so to be like:

I just brought this game tried it on medium and it was more difficult than expected I know I'll downgrade to.... oh because I'm not used to this style of game I'm being compared to an infant, way to value me as a customer game
I actually like humoristic difficulty levels as you can find in this page : http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... ultyLevels
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

It's not so bad when they're all silly but if it's Hard, Medium, Toddler, that irritates me enough to apply for steam refunds if I spot it in time.

On the other hand not everyone is good at deciphering jokes like that, out of context can you tell me is "will of iron" harder or easier than "reaper man"? options to turn that off are something I'd use as the jokes get old quickly.

it's like bathroom signs, it may be all hip and trendy to use say a cow and a bull to represent male and female toilets but I don't want to be randomly quizzed out of context about it (especially when the two doors are not side to side) when all I want to do is get in there and do my thing. It's an unnecessary barrier to entry.

samthebest
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by samthebest »

My post was kinda ill educated. I'm a noob, didn't realise

(a) there is a multiplayer!?
(b) releasing a bunch of rockets does already have some value (more laser turret upgrades)

Keen to see how the multiplayer works!

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”