Above 60 fps (120 or 144).

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.
Hakisak
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Above 60 fps (120 or 144).

Post by Hakisak » Tue May 03, 2016 1:47 am

Hello,

My suggestion:
The ability to run the game at 120 or 144fps to match more high-end monitor's refresh rate.

why?
Because 144 master race? some people would like to use their monitors full potential and this game will look much more smooth when moving the player around.

I know about the game speed command but playing at double speed is unpractical.

-your game is exactly my type and i love it <3
keep up the good work!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Above 60 fps (120 or 144).

Post by bobingabout » Tue May 03, 2016 10:46 am

The issues with this are have been explained before.

The very core of the game depends on a per tick calculation, everything from how far something has moved, to how much power was generated.

Therefore, even if you had 120fps, every first and second frame would be identical, resulting in 60 unique fps.

The solution to your issue is to calculate ticks twice as often, as with the game speed command.

The problem there is, you would then need to half the progress done with each tick to slow the game back down to normal speed... this is the hard part, the variable tick length, the entire game engine was built around a constant tick length, so changing it would be... challenging at best.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.

SyncViews
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SyncViews » Tue May 03, 2016 11:53 am

Variable tick length would break the multiplayer model, so its really not going to happen, and is not needed. Generally you want to avoid this anyway, variable time step screws with physics simulations, and makes every single piece of logic more complex. Rather you can interpolate object positions for rendering with a fixed update rate (e.g. "render_position = prev_position + (position - prev_position) * fractional_step"), but the game doesn't do that, and it doesn't work with pre-rendered or hand drawn animations (not a 3D game) so would only be a partial solution even if the devs did it.

And I still dont really get the need? This is not a fast paced fps where lacking good motion blur there is some difference between 30fps and 120+fps. I don't see the masses complaining about TV/film (24fps) or 2D animated video (often 12fps or less).

Maybe they should just change the game to double or even triple the frames so that the in and out of game FPS counter says 144fps and see how many people really notice...

Hakisak
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Hakisak » Tue May 03, 2016 12:05 pm

bobingabout wrote:The issues with this are have been explained before.

The very core of the game depends on a per tick calculation, everything from how far something has moved, to how much power was generated.

Therefore, even if you had 120fps, every first and second frame would be identical, resulting in 60 unique fps.

The solution to your issue is to calculate ticks twice as often, as with the game speed command.

The problem there is, you would then need to half the progress done with each tick to slow the game back down to normal speed... this is the hard part, the variable tick length, the entire game engine was built around a constant tick length, so changing it would be... challenging at best.
ah I see... its one of those games.
Do you think it would be possible to keep all the mechanics at its 60fps operational speed, but somehow half the characters(camera) movement speed and then double its operational speed. ergh, that sounds like it wont work.
we dont have to have all the mechanics(smoke,belt-speed, etc) to work at 120/144fps, do you think its possible just to have the panning camera movements to work at 120/144fps? or is it all tied together that tight?
-thanks

SyncViews
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SyncViews » Tue May 03, 2016 12:58 pm

Camera position is the same equation I showed as for object position, for what value it adds when its only panning. Its the same thing most 3D games do, since like I said, an actual variable step simulation is normally a bad thing

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles » Tue May 03, 2016 1:34 pm

Even if you wanted the game to force out more frame output, the visual display is a mixture of sprite art and 3d models. It is extremely jarring to have these two things run at independent frame rates. I've seen it plenty of times growing up, and it isn't pretty.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”