Power Generation

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

PyroProtocol
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Power Generation

Post by PyroProtocol »

Unless i am blind, i have not seen very many posts concerning power. In the current version of the game, there are two methods of generation power. This methods are via steam generators or via solar panels. While both of these methods are quite nice, it would be cool to have more types of electricity generation. With modded Minecraft being part of my DNA, i quite enjoy tinkering around with different methods of power generation in games.

Here are a few ideas i have for generation.
Types of steam generation. Each "tier" more costly, but more efficient.
Geo-thermal- I am thinking of having lava pits or pumps similar to oil pumps that bring up lava to the surface. The lava would be used to heat water into steam, or as another source of fuel.
Reactors- Use a form of fuel that would have to be implemented to the game to heat water. You would also need to have a second line of water to cool the reactor. Without coolant, the reactor could explode, or just not produce steam depending on how much you want to punish the player.

Types of electricity generation.
Previous statement applies, each "tier" is more expensive, but more efficient.
Turbine Engine- pretty much a better steam engine.
diesel/gasoline engine- Takes fuel manufactured in the oil refinery to generate power.(can take upgrades to increase power generation)
alien technology generator- made out of alien artifacts. Other than that, we really don't know how it generates power.
arc reactor- takes power to "jump start" but once started will have a net gain of electricity.

With the above stated, here are the things that would have to be implemented to take advantage of these.
lava pit/underground lava lakes
uranium/reactive fuel for reactor
diesel/gasoline from oil refinery
any special items you may want for crafting

Another idea is in concerning of power distribution. In the current version, there are a few types of power poles with different reach distance and supply area. What would be nice is to have different lines with the ability to carry more voltage, and have transformers break off to machinery. You could have the basic copper wire which would be a low voltage, iron/steel wire which would be medium voltage, and you could implement gold for high voltage wire and more advanced electronics. This would also allow for even more customization in players factories. Another nice feature would to be able to mix and match sizes of poles for reach and spread, with different types of wire for voltage. This would allow players to setup their factory just how they want. It would also allow for anywhere from short distances of high voltage all the way to long distances of low voltage. Higher tiered machines(such as Assembling machine mk2 and mk3) would require medium and high voltage respectively.

I hope some of these changes will be considered in future updates, and thanks for reading!

BossmanSlim
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Power Generation

Post by BossmanSlim »

Here's my thoughts:

User story: Note, I work in the power industry, so the current power model annoys me. We can build a fusion power cell, future tech, for our power armor, but must use reciprocating steam, 19th century tech, or solar to power, near future tech based on implementation, for the factory. I would like to see the three power options below added:
- Steam turbine - tier 2 of the steam engine. Requires boilers, electronic circuits, steel and steam engines to build. Operates on fuel (coal, wood, solid) and water. Produces 10MW at 50% the pollution, water and fuel of steam engine per kw.
- Gas plant - tier 3 of steam engine. Requires steam turbine(s), processing units, steel and level 1 production module. Operates on petroleum gas or light oil. Produces 50 MW at 25% pollution, water and fuel of steam engine per kw.
- Fusion power - requirements should be processing units, alien artifacts, steel and level 3 production modules. Operates on water. Produces 250MW at 0 pollution.
- Orbital array - requires rocket to launch and ground based receiving station. Basically a solar array in orbit that doesn't ever "go dark".

Prerequisites: New models and associated integration needed for each item.

Game-value: The power model seems to lack options and doesn't make sense. It is steam engines to solar while we get fusion on our power armor. Reality is steam engine to steam turbine to fission/combined cycle steam to fusion steam with solar with accumulators still in the future. I would like to some more options.

PyroProtocol
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by PyroProtocol »

BossmanSlim wrote:Here's my thoughts:

User story: Note, I work in the power industry, so the current power model annoys me. We can build a fusion power cell, future tech, for our power armor, but must use reciprocating steam, 19th century tech, or solar to power, near future tech based on implementation, for the factory. I would like to see the three power options below added:
- Steam turbine - tier 2 of the steam engine. Requires boilers, electronic circuits, steel and steam engines to build. Operates on fuel (coal, wood, solid) and water. Produces 10MW at 50% the pollution, water and fuel of steam engine per kw.
- Gas plant - tier 3 of steam engine. Requires steam turbine(s), processing units, steel and level 1 production module. Operates on petroleum gas or light oil. Produces 50 MW at 25% pollution, water and fuel of steam engine per kw.
- Fusion power - requirements should be processing units, alien artifacts, steel and level 3 production modules. Operates on water. Produces 250MW at 0 pollution.
- Orbital array - requires rocket to launch and ground based receiving station. Basically a solar array in orbit that doesn't ever "go dark".

Prerequisites: New models and associated integration needed for each item.

Game-value: The power model seems to lack options and doesn't make sense. It is steam engines to solar while we get fusion on our power armor. Reality is steam engine to steam turbine to fission/combined cycle steam to fusion steam with solar with accumulators still in the future. I would like to some more options.
If this was posted earlier and i did not see it, sorry for basically using half your ideas. Also thanks for having even more detail(such as crafting) on the generators. I do like the idea of a orbital portion of the game. Not really limited to a solar array, but perhaps a place that you could build, but would have to have some form of oxygen generation to be able to work up there.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I recommend to read the big thread about energy in developer proposals...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”