Mega-Structures and merged structures.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Dogone
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Mega-Structures and merged structures.

Post by Dogone »

Mega structures could be created by 2x2, 4x4, or 16x16 versions of the smaller structures. For example, 2x2 assemblers which require construction robots to complete to create a mega-assembly. These could have internal buffers, require the proposed 'Loader' block for input and output, and have massively increased (and parallel production) capacities.
2x2 chests have twice as many slots as the constituent chest.
2x2, 4x4, 16x16, solar panels for obvious benefits, same for accumulators.

To make these truly late game objects, make them only interactable with other mega structures and loaders. 2x2 substations only interacting with 2x2 solar panels and lower, etc. 16x16 substations having /massive/, but needing to interact with 4x4 and then 2x2 and then 1x1 substations in order to deliver power to normal buildings. Require them to be built via blueprint somehow.

Require additional resources equivalent to a pyramid structure of the original.
2x2 requires 5 of the original, 4x4 requires 21 of the original, 16x16 requires however many it takes to build the pyramid (I can't be arsed to do the math right now.)

karlstri
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Mega-Structures and merged structures.

Post by karlstri »

i myself have tought about megachests aka warehouses, perhaps 3x3 in size, another thing i would like is a 1x7 chest for loading/unloading trains.

mega solars is intresting too but perhaps 4x4 advanced solars whit a per square efficency 20% better then the basic but much more expensive

in general i like the concept but

Melfish
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Melfish »

Isnt this kind of in the game already?
I myself create blueprints of large production places, like the smelting, the circuit areas and ofcourse solars.

So could you please explain more how this should work?

therewolfmb
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by therewolfmb »

I agree with Melfish.

We already create Mega-structures in the game by making combining the basic structures in large arrays. The Blueprint feature saves these structures and makes them easy to reproduce. Having the actual individual structures combine into larger elements is basically just cosmetic.

I think the need for multi-square chests will be solved by being able to create smaller, isolated networks and having robots move the items around.

Reviire
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Reviire »

Kinda agree with above. But I would like megastructures of things like assemblers, that have far more capacity for doing things. Maybe with internal output, so you only need to connect a conveyor.
Rip goat, more loli
Gizogin wrote:I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Jakkar
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Jakkar »

I'm not sure exactly what the OP means, but my suggestion along these lines would be that, as in other games, a large square of small items can gain new bonuses and an altered, unified graphic - i.e. a 3x3 grid of 9 solar panels becoming a massive interlinked set of more efficient looking solar panels with with, say, identical output but a bonus to the speed at which they transfer power to any accumulator touching the edges - and have some visible cabling/socket-like structures around the visible rims of the sprite.

2x2 electric furnaces, meanwhile, might become a more factory-like unit, losing the cartoonish firey grille at the front and becoming a steel-walled block with smoking vents and fans on top. The bonus of this design would be that you'd have four furnaces worth of output without needing four different inserter outputs, reducing the overall footprint. The disadvantage would be that all four would need to share their production recipe.

I think structure merging would add a very enjoyable addition dimension to Factorio.

Blaster
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Blaster »

Yes, your Factorio will still be a factorio, but it will be ... Bigger.

Shokubai
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Shokubai »

Huge Factory buildings take belt inserts not an inserter and have a belt outputs!!!

Could You Imagine this 8x8 super gears?
8by8.png
8by8.png (619.61 KiB) Viewed 4303 times
*Yeah i know 2 to 1 Shush

Reviire
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Reviire »

Ye, something like that. Except it looks cooler.
Rip goat, more loli
Gizogin wrote:I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

silverkitty23
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by silverkitty23 »

This makes me think of "economics of scale", which is somewhat lacking in Factorio. The closest we have to it is beacons.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I don't think economics of scale should be implemented. It's already in the game: How you transport items, how fast does the factory react on demand... And so on, some dozens of points.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

TheDagmaar
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheDagmaar »

A no... and a yes.
No for the same but bigger, without thinking structures. Factorio for me is a logic puzzle game. I love thinking on a problem in it. So my no is for that.
Yes for an another puzzle. I want mega buildings, mega stuff but with problems, another puzzle, harder puzzle.
What about a building with assimetrical surface like an L, Or a building whitch you can load and unload from one side. Or both at the same time. I want more complex problems what I can solve. And thats a yes. And don't forget, we are talking about end game.
TheDagmaar Mining Corp.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”