New Evolution method

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Lutra
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

New Evolution method

Post by Lutra »

This is an idea i had based off a program i wrote in VB a while ago(i can't find it anymore :( ).

To simulate evolution better, give the enemies a set of properties(e.g. health, defense, food needed to stay alive, intelligence, camouflage abilities). the animals then wander the world, eat when they need to(when less food than needed) and so on. every now and then(using a random timer) they reproduce. reproducing produces 1 new animal BUT it's properties are changed slightly. the properties from the parents are averaged and then have a small random change made to them and given to the new animal. However, this system requires a natural predator-to create evolution pressure, so that only the animals with the highest health, best camouflage etc will survive and over time the average stats of each animal will get better- and a food source for the animals so that the population will be limited by food. in Factorio this could be implemented by using the pollution factor to increase the random mutation at time of reproduction, biomes to set the available food in an area-dictating the number of enemies around- and a new creature that will hunt the biters/spitters and also the player.

This may be quite taxing on weak computers though, as the stats for each individual animal will need to be recorded
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Lutra
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: New Evolution method

Post by Lutra »

i was trying to make a mod for it, but i don't understand how to replace the current evolution method. it seems a bit complicated...
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

seronis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by seronis »

Look at any of the half dozen mods that already do this.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Those are the mods that I think can help you best with your challenge :).

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=13562
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=21215
viewtopic.php?f=97&t=17291
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”