Recipe overhaul

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

tbarros
Inserter
Inserter

Recipe overhaul

Post by tbarros »

Hi

first this update made me ignore my gf for the weekend (she was not happy)

love the new oil industry. nough said!

Now for question, why couldn't we start with oil industry from the start? or as a basic research? reason?

-first of all exposure, after unlocking the tech i was pretty much overwhelmed with the new stuff. why couldnt we have a first tech just to get petroleum gas, very ineffective, just so we could get rubber and maybe sulfur.

-second, the game would feel a bit more natural for MC buildcraft comers (and general gameplay). oil was one of my first priorities and also not so hard to get.
the 2-4hour waiting to get oil seems a bit too much for me... the resource is just laying there for so long... so lonely :D

-third, it feels weird that some recipes requires hard metal on metal to build circuits and wires on wooden/steel poles.

i could had more to the list but the rest would be more little tweaks to my own taste than actually points.

hope this gets to the devs :)

3LollipopZ
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Recipe overhaul

Post by 3LollipopZ »

hope this gets to the devs :)
Don't worry, the DEVs don't actually read the forums... they are too busy...

I don't mind that oil is more a mid-late game resource, but I do find myself doing everything I can to refine oil! Then I start to play factorio like normal :)

I think that if oil early could be burnt off as a cheap fuel that would be nice. An early game fuel. I would think of not burning it if I could avoid as I wanted to use it late game for bigger and better things... like space ships :) The massive wait until you can use oil is a bit annoying

tbarros
Inserter
Inserter

Post by tbarros »

Yeah i dont like the wait but then again we are on balancing phase now so who knows?! maybe oil can be more accessible on a later patch :P

is just that cmon coal is so old school now-a-days :P. its a good surplus product for other things (rubber! grenades? <- coal is still explosive :P)

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

The oil has been designed as a sort of "midgame" resource. This is to add some progress feeling to the game (you need to work your way through to using some resource) and also not to overwhelm the players from the beginning. Though the idea for some primitive usage of the oil from soon into the game is nice.

tbarros
Inserter
Inserter

Post by tbarros »

slpwnd wrote:Though the idea for some primitive usage of the oil from soon into the game is nice.
well if i may had something on this, it would be nice to have a very crude way of getting rubber in the early stages just so that we have this middle material betteween iron and copper (again i played too many years Minecraft with IndustrialCraft2 and BuildCraft and the wire part of the game is quite appealing :D )

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Primitive usage for oil?
I would accept it perhaps if it was really inefficient and could actually really bite back at later game stages due to resource exhausion.
What about hiding (some, most, all?) oil patches (bear in mind that I don't know how they look) till the tech is discovered?
Or perhaps enabling pumps + liquid storage silos + barrels earlier
AND requiring the oil-related research to actually consume some oil?

Deathmage
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Deathmage »

im not quite sure what you guys mean I got automation and set up a red and green factory, should not take that long to get from there with 8+ labs. Or do i just struggle with noticing the time...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”