Lubricated Steam Engine

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Seldion
Inserter
Inserter

Lubricated Steam Engine

Post by Seldion »

Currently the Steam Engine is just a basic all in one system, You pump steam in it, it uses that to spin a wheel that make energy with the generator in there, lest I think there is one in there.

My suggestion would be to add a sorta Tier 2 power generation system from steam, Instead of just pumping the steam into a Steam Engine, instead it will pump it into a engine but that will only crank a shaft that will have to be connected to a Generator, This generator doesn't need lubricant but adding it to the generator will make it much more efficient, meaning less steam needed and more power produced.

Right now I know there are many mods out there that add a lot to the game and the game already has a ton of content that is going to be added, I don't know what kind of content there is concerning power but I though this would be a wonderful way to add more interesting ways to make power.

tobsimon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Lubricated Steam Engine

Post by tobsimon »

I am very much for line shafts for mechanical energy transfer. However, not only to connect steam engine and generator (It would be kind of mute, when there is only one use for the technology), but several more buildings. I remember some threads [1] about an expanded pre electric early game, where the need for a mechanical energy transfer was mentioned. In my opinion, many buildings, including, mining drill, inserter, assembly machine 1, possibly even the belts, should not need electricity or coal, but a connection to a line shaft (which consists of iron rods) to function. At some time, I shall flesh this out in great detail.

As for your tire 2 energy generation, yesss absolutely. A electric motor (and generator) is actually a simple thing compared to a combustion engine and therefore sould be available and necessary much earlier in the game (acknowledged as an item, as it is there implicitly already). The tire two electric motor should be necessary to power the advanced and high energy consuming buildings like assembly machine 3. As for the gerneration side, there is boiler - piston engine - simple electric generator compared to tire 2: boiler + superheater - turbine - high voltage electric generator.

Right now, power is more or less a solved problem, once you can build solar panels with accumulators in mass, which is meh.

1:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8279
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3788

Ragnaman
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Lubricated Steam Engine

Post by Ragnaman »

I'm a simple man, I see steam, I like.
|
| Mods: Greenhouse with modules
| Hobby artist (CAD) | Hobby coder | Lead Software Engineer | Employed