Ability to leave vehicle headlights on

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Ability to leave vehicle headlights on

Post by JasonC »

I'd like to be able to leave the headlights of a vehicle switched on at night when I get out of it. It could take the form of a toggle button that appears on the GUI when you're in a vehicle (headlights on vs. auto as usual). If you leave the headlights on while you're not in the vehicle it should use a small amount of fuel.

The vehicle, when left running, should also generate the vehicle sound as an environment sound source. Whether or not "left on" headlights still automatically turn off in the day time (and stop consuming fuel), no preference.

This would be useful for both the car and the tank (mostly the car though), and would add a nice touch of realism as a bonus (imho). It wouldn't really be useful for trains but wouldn't hurt anything if it were available.
Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Ability to leave vehicle headlights on

Post by ssilk »

And don't forget to use the hand-brakes! ;)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Evan_
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Evan_ »

I like this idea. For reasons.

*envisions a base where light is provided by cars on belts, fuelled by inserters for eternity*

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

For me it's clear, that light like that drains the energy. So if you turn the lights of the car on, it will end in empty fuel-slots.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Khaylain
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Khaylain »

Evan_ wrote:I like this idea. For reasons.

*envisions a base where light is provided by cars on belts, fuelled by inserters for eternity*
Damn, now I want to see that. That's just plain funny. But as ssilk says, and you implied, it would be logical that this would take power. Which makes me wonder if we could get electric cars in the game. Hmmm. Would be interesting. I'll have to check if it's been proposed before. cheerio.

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JasonC »

ssilk wrote:And don't forget to use the hand-brakes! ;)
I've definitely gone chasing after the car before, both in the game and in real life... :lol:
Khaylain wrote:Which makes me wonder if we could get electric cars in the game. Hmmm. Would be interesting.
That would be interesting. Perhaps they could hold a charge like an accumulator, and you have to park them near a power pole or some kind of charging station to recharge. Much more efficient but shorter range with the risk of leaving you stranded (unless you take some solar panels along). If you do post this suggestion let me know I have a thought on it that's off topic here.
Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

Khaylain
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Khaylain »

Found this thread when searching the forums for electric car; viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21125, which seems to be the only related/(whatever the word I'm looking for is) thread I could find with the search.

I do want a handbrake so the car stops like it would if you'd been breaking when you leave it, would make mistakes less irritating. And if you'd slipped out of the car in the middle of the night with the headlights still on it would be a lot easier to see where it went as well.

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JasonC »

I think if you jump out of a moving car while heading towards water it should disappear into the lake and you should enjoy the walk back. :lol:

I kind of like the chaotic car mistakes. I build walls in key places pretty regularly because I have a bad habit of driving into pretty much everything.

I think if the game detects that you are chasing a moving car on foot it should cue up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjedLeVGcfE.

PS Finally, a worthy signature.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”