A couple of tips

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: A couple of tips

Post by ssilk »

Can you please write understandable English? :roll: ;)
If you have problems to formulate correct you can also use PM and I can help you. :)

And in general I recommend to take a look in how other players play the game or use mods - use Gameplay Help board to find threads about how to enhance boring game.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Evan_
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Evan_ »

It's fun to decode google translate.
Disappointed Player wrote:(playing alone is fun, but it's boring; busy with other programs for online games is not fun).
I believe he means that currently Hamachi or similar programs are the most user-firendly methods of finding multiplayer servers. Though I doubt it's the most painless way. Anyhow, I heard 0.13 will have a server browser, probably some basic admin-functions too. I believe his main point is moot because of that.

The rest sounds like some nice, immersion incerasing additions. Sounds like low-priority for me in an alpha state game.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

Disappointed Player wrote:
ssilk wrote:Can you please write understandable English? :roll: ;)
If you have problems to formulate correct you can also use PM and I can help you. :)
1. If I knew English perfectly, I would not use a translator. And Yes, I understand that translators translate is not always correct. However, this is not a problem for everyone, for example Evan_ get the idea.
2. Thanks for the offer, I'll think about it.
PS: I use Yandex translator.
as long as you provide the english translation you can include the original text so other people who speak the same language can help interpret the auto-translated text.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I think part of the issue why Ssilk couldn't follow is because he himself is not a native English speaker.
when you have English that is auto-translated, it isn't exactly the most clear what you mean, which makes it even harder for the non-native speakers to understand.

Anyway, to your point... if the game is too boring, perhaps you need to add more challenge, which can be accomplished with mods.
Online play is still in development, but getting better. To note, the game will never be Massively Multiplayer.

There is one issue with the game, I had to forward a port for a friend to be able to connect to me. Okay, I can understand the need for this on a server side machine, but it's what makes programs like Hamachi the go to solution for people who either don't know about port forwarding, or don't have access to it on their network...
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Disappointed Player wrote:1. If I knew English perfectly, I would not use a translator. And Yes, I understand that translators translate is not always correct.
It would helped me for example a lot, if you choose a subject, that describes the domain of your suggestion. Without knowing (is this suggestion now about network issues, or multiplayer, or is it just something really different), it's really hard for non-native speaking people to find the right domain fast.
However, this is not a problem for everyone, for example Evan_ get the idea.
Yes, now it's clear. :)

Evan_
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Evan_ »

ssilk wrote:
However, this is not a problem for everyone, for example Evan_ get the idea.
Yes, now it's clear. :)
I have to add that I'm a special snowflake: I love to play with google translate, especially if I run into badly interpreted lines. Making it translate trough obscure languages, sometimes back and forth... usually results in laughably silly sentences, often really far from the intended meaning of the original line. That's why I do it. Other times by some miracle, it results in a good translation. This happened here.

So... "playing alone is fun, but it's boring; busy with other programs for online games is not fun"

...translated to azerbaijan, than that to japanise, than back to English leads to...

"It is fun to play alone, but it is boring. There is no fun to deal with other programs for online games."

Only those with this stupid but pointless hobby of mine knows how slim was the chance for that to happen. For comparison, here's the same line with three more japanise-english-zulu iterations: "This is boring fun game. It is not to deal with other action game online"

Sorry, did I go off-topic much?

Khaylain
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Khaylain »

@Evan_
I feel like you help the conversation with that anecdote of yours. Though it might be useful for anyone relying on a translator to make their points in english to supply their original words in a

Code: Select all

[spoiler=Original Language][/spoiler]
just to make sure that people having a hard time with the translation given could make a go at it themselves and perhaps get more meaning from it. I sure didn't understand the meaning behind half of what was written in the orignal post.

But to make sure this post is at least a bit on topic (ad far as I can percieve): I don't think the devs need to concentrate on developing multiplayer if there are other things they feel needs work in the core game. I didn't get the feel from the games description that multiplayer was a big part of it. I didn't actually see that it was possible before I watched some youtubers play co-op. I believe the devs know enough of what they want their game to become that we, the fanbase, should give unsolicited advice on how they should develop it. What most of the ideas in this forum focus on is more what we want them to include, and we'll just have to hope that they feel the same way about our suggestions. But it helps our cause greatly if we make our ideas easy to understand/read.

Evan_
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Evan_ »

Khaylain wrote:I believe the devs know enough of what they want their game to become that we, the fanbase, should give unsolicited advice on how they should develop it. What most of the ideas in this forum focus on is more what we want them to include, and we'll just have to hope that they feel the same way about our suggestions.
I can't agree more, though from the other side of the (proverbial) fence: Played the tutorial, than immediately jumped into MP and never looked back. :D

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

English is also not my mother language, still im 100% able to understand what he suggests. I HATE ppl flaming other for their language, even they know its not their mother language (!)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

As moderator I need to answer to this statement:

Well, I did understand the OP. But only after reading it 5 times. :)
I see my job as moderator (besides other tasks) in enabling communication.

So, very simple logic: When I need 5 turns, then there are 100% some which have more problems. And maybe some, that fail.

In such cases I need to say something. It has nothing to do with bashing. It has nothing to do with flaming.
It has to do with communication and understanding and prevention of misunderstanding.
And with respect and politeness.

And I don't want to discuss this further and especially not in this board, please. :)

tehroach
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by tehroach »

Evan_ wrote:Only those with this stupid but pointless hobby of mine knows how slim was the chance for that to happen. For comparison, here's the same line with three more japanise-english-zulu iterations: "This is boring fun game. It is not to deal with other action game online"

Sorry, did I go off-topic much?
I always liked the ones that the early CIA had when translating the phrase "The spirit was willing, but the flesh was weak" to Russian and back to English resulted in: "The vodka was good, but the meat was rotten."
and "out of sight, out of mind" reportedly yielded the phrase "blind and insane."

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”