defensive/attacking combat robots

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Copperfield
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

defensive/attacking combat robots

Post by Copperfield »

It would be awesome if combat robots could defense your base in the same roboports

Or you could to do that step futher and make a simliar system as the logistic network for combat robots..

Set patrols for them.. or even @ the end game.. have some sort of army of robots that can take out aliens..

what you think?

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: defensive/attacking combat robots

Post by immibis »

It sounds neat, but it shouldn't be better than turrets.

Maybe combat robots stay stationed in the roboport until a biter enters the roboport's range, then they have to go and get ammo before they can fight. (Similar to construction robots with repair packs)

TGS
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TGS »

I'm actually curious, why shouldn't it be better than turrets? I mean they should obviously have limitations. But they shouldn't necessarily be better or worse than turrets 'per say'. They can be equal or better or worse it wouldn't matter as they'd be more an additional method of defense. Perhaps they shouldn't completely negate the use of turrets would be more to the point.

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immibis »

That's what I actually meant, yes. If they're better than turrets in all aspects, they make turrets obsolete. They can be better at turrets for some things, of course.

They already have an advantage in that you can cover a bigger area with less work, which is why I suggested the tradeoff that they need to gather ammo before entering combat.

Madara Uchiha
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Madara Uchiha »

What's wrong with making turrets obsolete?

The notion of Gun Turrets < Laser Turrets < (Some other future turret?) < Defense bots doesn't sound so bad.

Technology advances, so should your equipment.

Plop and run
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Plop and run »

Madara Uchiha wrote: The notion of Gun Turrets < Laser Turrets < (Some other future turret?) < Defense bots
This is a bad design, isn't it? Once you've unlocked LT you don't need GT anymore. If all units stay useful until the end of the game, you will have more decisions about army/turret composition, as opposed to simply replacing one thing with another.
Black blood of the factory

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Of course (ok, I can't be sure, but for me it's quite logical) this would work like so:

Natives enter the area of roboports, or you extend their area, by placing a new roboport. Construction bot flies, out and places ...

... a capsule of course! The capsule opens, combat robots come out and fight until they die.

(Ok, there is the need to tell the bots, what they should place...)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immibis »

Madara Uchiha wrote:What's wrong with making turrets obsolete?

The notion of Gun Turrets < Laser Turrets < (Some other future turret?) < Defense bots doesn't sound so bad.

Technology advances, so should your equipment.
People like to skip ahead as far as possible.

I already don't bother to build gun turrets. With this suggestion I won't bother to build gun turrets, laser turrets or possible future turrets.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”