Sign posts that display item icons

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Sign posts that display item icons

Post by JasonC »

I think it would be useful to be able to build little sign posts then set an item whose picture will be displayed on them.

Maybe just a 1x1 little wooden sign, requiring 1 or 2 raw wood to build.

I'd use these all the time, for e.g. marking chests where items are supposed to go, maybe posting signs next to train stations showing what's being manufactured there, etc.

Right now as a "workaround" I usually place a smart inserter somewhere with the filter set, or I'll drop a pile of the item on the ground.

As a bonus, maybe an electric sign post could be part of Optics, which is the same thing but illuminated at night (with a much smaller light radius than a lamp, maybe just one or two grid squares).

It would be nice if the icon was displayed even when detail view isn't active, but that's not a deal breaker.
Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

Evan_
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Sign posts that display item icons

Post by Evan_ »

I kinda' prefer creative workarounds rather than an item that just does the very thing that's missing. Signposts are a good example. On my first multiplayer day, I was missing them. Than I realized I can just write by dropping ore, placing belts or lights. The latter can also be interactive - like a "Turrets" sign that lights up left to right as the linked chest(s) fill up with turrets. Pretty pointless, but cool. That doesn't even need math or a combinator.

Also, the train-station piece works if you want to make notes visible on the map - just place a rail-piece, slap on a station, write whatever and remove the rail.

I somehow like these solutions better than I would like a dedicated 'signpost' item.

Also:Image

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Sign posts that display item icons

Post by JasonC »

There is a nice little mod that comes close: viewtopic.php?f=93&t=14921

It supports text sign posts, and marker dots on the map. It's very helpful.
Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”