Smart Conveyer Gate

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Smart Conveyer Gate

Post by JasonC »

I think it would be cool, fun, and useful (all three!) if there was a gate that could be placed on a conveyer that could open and close with circuit / logistic network conditions. This would be three new objects:
  • Gate
  • Fast Gate
  • Express Gate
It'd just be a 1x1 belt section that let object pass if its conditions were met and blocked objects if not.

I'm not sure where they should be in the tech tree though... everything I think of is weird:
  • The three different speed gates could be part of Logistics 1/2/3, but then they'd be available before Circuit Network.
  • All three could be unlocked together with Circuit Network, but that doesn't seem right, plus you'd have Fast/Express available without needing Logistics 2/3.
  • There could be a separate tech that requires Circuit Network and Logistics 3, but that kind of moves them later than I think they should be.
  • Each one could have its own tech, requiring Circuit Network and Logistics 1/2/3 (depending on the speed), but that seems like clutter, even though it probably makes the most sense. They could all use Science Pack 3's maybe.
  • Any better ideas?
Graphically, I guess they could look like a flood/sluice gate with some machinery.

Right now you can sort of accomplish this with Smart Inserters acting as the gate, but they're a big bottleneck. To maintain the throughput of a belt using Smart Inserters as gates takes a ton of space. Realistically (fsv "realistic") I'd expect that an actual factory would be able to start / stop movement of objects along a belt without using robotic arms to act as the gate. Gates would provide a way to control material flow while maintaining throughput and not requiring an excessive footprint.
Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Smart Conveyer Gate

Post by ssilk »

It's really difficult to find this threads. So I added it to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=21106 Smart conveyor belts
;)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”