Map resource display filter

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Nathadir
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Map resource display filter

Post by Nathadir »

I would like an option to filter the display of the various resources (ores, oil) when viewing the Map screen.

As a player avidly using mods that add resources to the game (Bobs, Uranium Power, etc.), but unfortunately also being colorblind, I find it hard to discern the different kinds of resources when scouting the map for new resources. While I realize that the number of resources in the base game is currently rather limited, this might change going forward, making my suggestion more relevant for people not using resource-adding mods.

Since I'm not really skilled with Photoshop or anything like that, I can't really show you a picture of how I imagine the UI elements for this would look, but to explain: I imagine it would be a simple list of all available resources in game you are playing, located in the top-left corner of the screen, with a simple check mark before each resource, allowing the player to toggle which resources are displayed on the map (akin to how the Auto-wire mod looks).

Nathadir
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Map resource display filter

Post by Nathadir »

Another way to address the issue I am having (or something that could be implemented alongside my original suggestion) would be to let the player decide the color with which resources are represented on the Map screen; however I realize this would likely be much more difficult to implement, it would require a color-picker UI element, and possibly other code changes (I don't know how the game handles this). That would massively help colorblind people, I suspect.

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

Being able to filter ores etc on the map screen would be a useful feature to have.
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Hi,

Maybe you would like to have a look at this topic : viewtopic.php?f=80&t=18153. As you can see there have been a few suggestions around this topic already.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Nathadir
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nathadir »

Thank you. I tried searching for existing suggestions of this using the advanced search, but was unable to find this.

RunItsATrap
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RunItsATrap »

Just in case someone stumbles across this while searching for a solution: these days there is a mod called https://mods.factorio.com/mod/resourcehighlighter (not mine) which perfectly does this.

Jürgen Erhard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jürgen Erhard »

RunItsATrap wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:15 pm
Just in case someone stumbles across this while searching for a solution: these days there is a mod called https://mods.factorio.com/mod/resourcehighlighter (not mine) which perfectly does this.
Re-necro ;-) for a worthy cause, because THANK YOU! I just had an urgent need (again, for the umpteenth time) for this. It's not, contrary to your claim, perfect (perfect filtering would be "only show this/these resource, maybe in a bright, very bright color and *hide* all other resources")

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”